GLUT - The OpenGL Utility Toolkit
GLUT (pronounced like the glut in gluttony) is the OpenGL Utility Toolkit, a window system independent toolkit for writing OpenGL programs. It implements a simple windowing application programming interface (API) for OpenGL. GLUT makes it considerably easier to learn about and explore OpenGL programming. GLUT provides a portable API so you can write a single OpenGL program that works across all PC and workstation OS platforms.
GLUT is designed for constructing small to medium sized OpenGL programs. While GLUT is well-suited to learning OpenGL and developing simple OpenGL applications, GLUT is not a full-featured toolkit so large applications requiring sophisticated user interfaces are better off using native window system toolkits. GLUT is simple, easy, and small.
The GLUT library has both C, C++ (same as C), FORTRAN, and Ada programming bindings. The GLUT source code distribution is portable to nearly all OpenGL implementations and platforms. The current version is 3.7. Additional releases of the library are not anticipated.
GLUT is not open source. Mark Kilgard maintains the copyright. There are a number of newer and open source alternatives.
The current version of the GLUT API is 3.
The current source code distribution is GLUT 3.7.
The toolkit supports:
- Multiple windows for OpenGL rendering
- Callback driven event processing
- Sophisticated input devices
- An 'idle' routine and timers
- A simple, cascading pop-up menu facility
- Utility routines to generate various solid and wire frame objects
- Support for bitmap and stroke fonts
- Miscellaneous window management functions
Basic GLUT Information/Downloads
- The GLUT 3.7 page with all info and all downloads
- GLUT 3.7 Source Code Download for Win32
- GLUT Sample Programs w/ Source Code
- GLUT 3 Specification (PostScript) (HTML)
- Frequently Asked GLUT 3.7 Questions
Other GLUT Information/Downloads
- Nate Robin's GLUT for Windows page
- An introduction to GLUT
- IInstalling GLUT on a Windows machine
- Pre-compiled binaries for Solaris on X86 GLUT 3.7
- Pre-compiled binaries for Solaris on X86 64-bit GLUT 3.7
- Pre-compiled binaries for Solaris on SPARC GLUT 3.7
- Pre-compiled binaries for Solaris on SPARC 64-bit GLUT 3.7
- Pre-compiled Win32 for Intel GLUT 3.7 DLLs for Windows 95 & NT
- Pre-compiled Win32 for Alpha GLUT 3.6 DLLs for Windows NT
- GlutMaster: C++ wrapper classes for GLUT programming