Sooo close I can smell it! And it's making me really damn hungry

Today is not my day. (or the last two for that matter)

Moving on. I recently hit a roadblock with running tutorial files created by premake that I think was caused by incorrect setup on my part. I decided to start from a clean slate deleting and redownloading everything and believe I have done everything correctly as of yet as I have a much better understanding of the whole process! However now I’m getting these beautiful 'undefined reference to ____ ’ errors for almost every line of code. Completely at a loss after researching for too long. Typically I can figure stuff out on computer fairly well but setting up these tutorials has been an ongoing nightmare for me and it’s killing my motivation :frowning:

My process went as follows: download premake, download free glsdk, download tutorial files, create and compile library files, create build files for tutorials, try to run those projects in codeblocks, and get the errors.

Anywho, this is the build log:

-------------- Build: Debug in Tut 01 Main (compiler: GNU GCC Compiler)---------------

mingw32-g++.exe -L..\glsdk\glload\lib -L..\glsdk\glimg\lib -L..\glsdk\glutil\lib -L..\glsdk\glmesh\lib -L..\glsdk\freeglut\lib -L..\framework\lib -o "Tut 01 MainD.exe" obj\Debug	ut1.o   -lframeworkD -lglloadD -lglimgD -lglutilD -lglmeshD -lfreeglutD -lglu32 -lopengl32 -lgdi32 -lwinmm -luser32
obj\Debug	ut1.o: In function `Z12CreateShaderjRKSs':
C:/Users/Mcodes/Desktop/Attempt_to_Tut/GlTutorials/Tut 01 Hello Triangle/tut1.cpp:16: undefined reference to `__gleCreateShader'
C:/Users/Mcodes/Desktop/Attempt_to_Tut/GlTutorials/Tut 01 Hello Triangle/tut1.cpp:18: undefined reference to `__gleShaderSource'
C:/Users/Mcodes/Desktop/Attempt_to_Tut/GlTutorials/Tut 01 Hello Triangle/tut1.cpp:20: undefined reference to `__gleCompileShader'
C:/Users/Mcodes/Desktop/Attempt_to_Tut/GlTutorials/Tut 01 Hello Triangle/tut1.cpp:23: undefined reference to `__gleGetShaderiv'
C:/Users/Mcodes/Desktop/Attempt_to_Tut/GlTutorials/Tut 01 Hello Triangle/tut1.cpp:27: undefined reference to `__gleGetShaderiv'
C:/Users/Mcodes/Desktop/Attempt_to_Tut/GlTutorials/Tut 01 Hello Triangle/tut1.cpp:30: undefined reference to `__gleGetShaderInfoLog'
obj\Debug	ut1.o: In function `Z13CreateProgramRKSt6vectorIjSaIjEE':
C:/Users/Mcodes/Desktop/Attempt_to_Tut/GlTutorials/Tut 01 Hello Triangle/tut1.cpp:49: undefined reference to `__gleCreateProgram'
C:/Users/Mcodes/Desktop/Attempt_to_Tut/GlTutorials/Tut 01 Hello Triangle/tut1.cpp:52: undefined reference to `__gleAttachShader'
C:/Users/Mcodes/Desktop/Attempt_to_Tut/GlTutorials/Tut 01 Hello Triangle/tut1.cpp:54: undefined reference to `__gleLinkProgram'
C:/Users/Mcodes/Desktop/Attempt_to_Tut/GlTutorials/Tut 01 Hello Triangle/tut1.cpp:57: undefined reference to `__gleGetProgramiv'
C:/Users/Mcodes/Desktop/Attempt_to_Tut/GlTutorials/Tut 01 Hello Triangle/tut1.cpp:61: undefined reference to `__gleGetProgramiv'
C:/Users/Mcodes/Desktop/Attempt_to_Tut/GlTutorials/Tut 01 Hello Triangle/tut1.cpp:64: undefined reference to `__gleGetProgramInfoLog'
C:/Users/Mcodes/Desktop/Attempt_to_Tut/GlTutorials/Tut 01 Hello Triangle/tut1.cpp:70: undefined reference to `__gleDetachShader'
obj\Debug	ut1.o: In function `Z17InitializeProgramv':
C:/Users/Mcodes/Desktop/Attempt_to_Tut/GlTutorials/Tut 01 Hello Triangle/tut1.cpp:104: undefined reference to `__gleDeleteShader'
obj\Debug	ut1.o: In function `Z22InitializeVertexBufferv':
C:/Users/Mcodes/Desktop/Attempt_to_Tut/GlTutorials/Tut 01 Hello Triangle/tut1.cpp:119: undefined reference to `__gleGenBuffers'
C:/Users/Mcodes/Desktop/Attempt_to_Tut/GlTutorials/Tut 01 Hello Triangle/tut1.cpp:121: undefined reference to `__gleBindBuffer'
C:/Users/Mcodes/Desktop/Attempt_to_Tut/GlTutorials/Tut 01 Hello Triangle/tut1.cpp:122: undefined reference to `__gleBufferData'
C:/Users/Mcodes/Desktop/Attempt_to_Tut/GlTutorials/Tut 01 Hello Triangle/tut1.cpp:123: undefined reference to `__gleBindBuffer'
obj\Debug	ut1.o: In function `Z4initv':
C:/Users/Mcodes/Desktop/Attempt_to_Tut/GlTutorials/Tut 01 Hello Triangle/tut1.cpp:132: undefined reference to `__gleGenVertexArrays'
C:/Users/Mcodes/Desktop/Attempt_to_Tut/GlTutorials/Tut 01 Hello Triangle/tut1.cpp:133: undefined reference to `__gleBindVertexArray'
obj\Debug	ut1.o: In function `Z7displayv':
C:/Users/Mcodes/Desktop/Attempt_to_Tut/GlTutorials/Tut 01 Hello Triangle/tut1.cpp:141: undefined reference to `__gleClearColor'
C:/Users/Mcodes/Desktop/Attempt_to_Tut/GlTutorials/Tut 01 Hello Triangle/tut1.cpp:142: undefined reference to `__gleClear'
C:/Users/Mcodes/Desktop/Attempt_to_Tut/GlTutorials/Tut 01 Hello Triangle/tut1.cpp:144: undefined reference to `__gleUseProgram'
C:/Users/Mcodes/Desktop/Attempt_to_Tut/GlTutorials/Tut 01 Hello Triangle/tut1.cpp:146: undefined reference to `__gleBindBuffer'
C:/Users/Mcodes/Desktop/Attempt_to_Tut/GlTutorials/Tut 01 Hello Triangle/tut1.cpp:147: undefined reference to `__gleEnableVertexAttribArray'
C:/Users/Mcodes/Desktop/Attempt_to_Tut/GlTutorials/Tut 01 Hello Triangle/tut1.cpp:148: undefined reference to `__gleVertexAttribPointer'
C:/Users/Mcodes/Desktop/Attempt_to_Tut/GlTutorials/Tut 01 Hello Triangle/tut1.cpp:150: undefined reference to `__gleDrawArrays'
C:/Users/Mcodes/Desktop/Attempt_to_Tut/GlTutorials/Tut 01 Hello Triangle/tut1.cpp:152: undefined reference to `__gleDisableVertexAttribArray'
C:/Users/Mcodes/Desktop/Attempt_to_Tut/GlTutorials/Tut 01 Hello Triangle/tut1.cpp:153: undefined reference to `__gleUseProgram'
obj\Debug	ut1.o: In function `Z7reshapeii':
C:/Users/Mcodes/Desktop/Attempt_to_Tut/GlTutorials/Tut 01 Hello Triangle/tut1.cpp:162: undefined reference to `__gleViewport'
..\framework\lib/libframeworkD.a(framework.o): In function `ZN9Framework10LoadShaderEjRKSs':
C:/Users/Mcodes/Desktop/Attempt_to_Tut/GlTutorials/framework/framework.cpp:37: undefined reference to `glutil::CompileShader(unsigned int, std::string const&)'
..\framework\lib/libframeworkD.a(framework.o): In function `ZN9Framework13CreateProgramERKSt6vectorIjSaIjEE':
C:/Users/Mcodes/Desktop/Attempt_to_Tut/GlTutorials/framework/framework.cpp:50: undefined reference to `glutil::LinkProgram(std::vector<unsigned int, std::allocator<unsigned int> > const&, bool)'
C:/Users/Mcodes/Desktop/Attempt_to_Tut/GlTutorials/framework/framework.cpp:51: undefined reference to `__gleDeleteShader'
C:/Users/Mcodes/Desktop/Attempt_to_Tut/GlTutorials/framework/framework.cpp:56: undefined reference to `__gleDeleteShader'
..\framework\lib/libframeworkD.a(framework.o): In function `main':
C:/Users/Mcodes/Desktop/Attempt_to_Tut/GlTutorials/framework/framework.cpp:163: undefined reference to `__gleEnable'
C:/Users/Mcodes/Desktop/Attempt_to_Tut/GlTutorials/framework/framework.cpp:164: undefined reference to `glDebugMessageCallbackARB'
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
Process terminated with status 1 (0 minute(s), 1 second(s))
36 error(s), 0 warning(s) (0 minute(s), 1 second(s))

Like these tutorial files are supposed to actually run, correct???

It’s especially frustrating as I was taking screenshots at every single step and saving text logs to try and make a more detailed tutorial (inspired by my and many others I’ve seen on the internets’ troubles with the official descriptions of how to set up the tutorials being quite ambiguous for those not especially computer savvi at the moment).
But now I’ve reached the final step and I’m stuck myself haha… Good news is I have a very detailed rundown of my entire process if it helps. What would be the preferred file type if I were to upload a rundown including photos and text?

Thanks immensely in advance

Do you, by any chance use GLee? Because all undefined references refere to “__gle<GLfunction>”.

You are obviously not linking against that library. Add the apropriate library to you IDE linker input settings.

On a side note, your thread title has absolutely nothing to do with, well anything. I was considering not to read this
post at first as I thought it must be some spambot again. Please don’t continue that clickbait-esque writing style.

[QUOTE=Agent D;1262006]Do you, by any chance use GLee? Because all undefined references refere to “__gle<GLfunction>”.

You are obviously not linking against that library. Add the apropriate library to you IDE linker input settings.

On a side note, your thread title has absolutely nothing to do with, well anything. I was considering not to read this
post at first as I thought it must be some spambot again. Please don’t continue that clickbait-esque writing style.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your contribution despite my misleading title. I understand now how that would be frowned upon in forums, apologies.

I have finally fully solved the problem, no thanks to anything on the internet!! Goes to show how many different random issues can arise that maybe not many people have posted about or found solutions for, intense stuff. In this case, it was very simple but never explained in the descriptions detailing the process. Simply a matter of which SDK I had in the tutorials directory, i was using the full separately downloaded GLSDK that I manually inserted in the tutorials directory vs the stripped down kit that was included in said tutorials. Never was detailed in any of the setup descriptions, and I had read it wasn’t an issue but I decided to test anyways.

Any idea why? Obviously has to do with the linker I’m guessing, maybe the addresses for the library are different in the full sdk? ugh Idk but I will be making a more in depth tutorial on how to get em running for people literally just beginning with this stuff.

thanks again.

edit: damn, I tried to change the title to something actually detailing the issue so that other people in the future can get past it if they run into the same issue, but i can’t.

lesson learned