"Snapping" during rotation and translation

Hello all,

I am familiar with the basic concept between transformation matrices, but need some assistance with a specific application. I have objects loaded into a scene graph, and I have enabled translation and rotation with mouse key presses by applying a transformation matrix to the coordinates of the objects’ vertices. Right now, I can rotate and translate my objects to virtually any position.

I have drawn a grid and want my objects to appear to “snap” to grid squares. In order to do this, I need to limit the movement so the rotation is only done in 90 degrees increments (90, 180, or 270 degrees of rotation), and translation is only done in grid-square size increments.

How can I go about this? I am not sure how I can make sure the transformation matrix is such that the object only translates or rotates in grid square units.

Thanks,
JackR

So, why don’t you do exactly that?

You are already calling glRotatef, glTranslatef, etc. No?

I think all you need to do is “snap” x,y and z passed to glRotate to the nearest whole multiple of your grip step. You simply need to do some rounding, e.g. like this:

#define GRID_INCR 90

void RotateAndSnap (float x, float y, float z) 
{
float xSnap = (float) ((int) (xSnap + (GRID_INCR / 2)) / GRID_INCR);
float ySnap = (float) ((int) (ySnap + (GRID_INCR / 2)) / GRID_INCR);
float zSnap = (float) ((int) (zSnap + (GRID_INCR / 2)) / GRID_INCR);
glRotatef (xSnap, ySnap, zSnap);
}

The cast to int and addition of 45 (half of your increment) does the rounding in a simple way.

This is provided you are starting at 0,0,0 and never get some values in between.