How can I start with GLSL

OK, here is my very first question, how can I start with it, where can I find head files, lib files in any ways just like the openGL1.1 used be. I’m really confused about GLSL, it seems nobody mentioned this very basic question here and I tried to seek the internet, nothing is helpful to help me start.

by the way, here is my system:
Geforce 6800(61.77 the latest offical driver)+winXp(SP2), I use gcc and Vc.net 2005 express beta.

Try these nice tutorials: http://www.clockworkcoders.com/oglsl/

Originally posted by Ffelagund:
Try these nice tutorials: http://www.clockworkcoders.com/oglsl/
so glew is the only way? is there a ‘offical’ SDK available? what about Nvidia SDK? does it support opengl 1.5 development?
and who can explain me the relationship among opengl1.5, 2.0 and GLSL. things change too far to catch up with since 1.1:(

glew i just a way of setting up the extension function entry points, setting up the shader functions are no diffirent than say multitexture.
though in saying that, youre prolly best offf using a library like glew to do the work for you,
also about learning glsl.
check out the ati developer for a pdf that explains how to set up a shader, also the 3dlabs site has some info, not to mention humus seems to be using glsl for all his latest demo’s

glslang is an extension, just like any other. Technically, it’s a set of 4 extensions. One defines the basic programming interface, one defines the language, and the other 2 define the vertex and fragment programming interfaces.

Glslang will be part of the OpenGL 2.0 core, though it will be modified. The glslang extensions use the proposed OpenGL 2.0 object model, which revolves around handles. While handles are a good idea, they clash with everything else in OpenGL (VBO’s, textures, etc). So, instead, they decided to make the core version of glslang use the regular GL object mechanism.

Both ATI and NVIDIA have GLSL support on their public developer web sites. Especially nifty is RenderMonkey, which in version 1.5 lets you write GLSL shaders and test on various geometry you import.

There’s also the GLSL “simple shader” from ATI, which works pretty well, and comes with a framework to set up code and test shaders: ATI Developer site download .

Originally posted by jwatte:
[b]Both ATI and NVIDIA have GLSL support on their public developer web sites. Especially nifty is RenderMonkey, which in version 1.5 lets you write GLSL shaders and test on various geometry you import.

There’s also the GLSL “simple shader” from ATI, which works pretty well, and comes with a framework to set up code and test shaders: ATI Developer site download .[/b]
I’m using a nvidia card (6800), does anyone tried the nvidia SDK? I’m wondering if it supports GLSL development or just cg since the SDK is too big, I have to consider once again before downloading it.

You can just download the specific SDK examples you’re interested in. That’s what I do.

Once you have setup your glsl application, I’m sure you want write shaders, but write shaders (with notepad, vstudio or the compiler editor that you usually use) and “run-modify shader-run-modify shader-run-modify shader” method is a pain. Try use an IDE for GLSL shaders like Rendermonkey or the Shader Designer ( http://www.typhoonlabs.com ) with this you can write and learn GLSL without taking care about the setup of host application for every shader you build.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.