Windows-like editor under linux?

I’m looking for a win32 like text editor under linux, i.e. one with the usual keybindings like shift-arrows for selecting text for instance (preferably with a gui). I tried vim, emacs and nano but the keybindings there are not intuitive for me at all.

First, vim and emacs allow setting your own keybingdings. That’s not trivial, but it’s possible.

Now, if you want a full IDE look for something like kdevelop.

Or try Anjuta(1), it’s UI is ugly (Gtk1… urgh), but the functionality is good.

Or wait for Anjuta Devstudio (aka Anjuta2, and formerly gIDE) which is going to be much nicer than A1 (it uses Gtk2 and the fonts are smoooth looking by default drool) and more extendable.

Or you could try KDevelop 3.0, like mentioned before.
(I can’t say much about it though because the latest version crashes all the time on my system… maybe it doesn’t want me to program Gtkmm2 apps with it? :P)

Or try Kate.

Try nedit (www.nedit.org), its got very similar key bindings to regular Windows apps.

Originally posted by TM:
I’m looking for a win32 like text editor under linux, i.e. one with the usual keybindings like shift-arrows for selecting text for instance (preferably with a gui). I tried vim, emacs and nano but the keybindings there are not intuitive for me at all.

Try putting (pc-bindings-mode) and (pc-selection-mode) into your .emacs file. Shift + arrows work like a dream. :slight_smile:

I would use KDevelop. KDevelop 3.0 crashes alot cuz its in beta still. Personally I use KDevelop and vi.

Try this link: http://hem.passagen.se/opengl/getstarted/

There is a section called “Editors/IDE”, with a quite comprehensive list of (mostly free) editors and IDEs. (most of the above mentioned are included)

The Vi and Emacs are the best editors… Afetr you get used to it its better than a heavy interfac like visial studio one.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.