Any tutorials on structuring scene graphs

Well, after about 10 days of learning OpenGL I wanted to play around with writing a basic game engine. The problem I have is how to structure the data, account for game states, do an implementation that will allow for easy BSP and other optimizations in the future etc… I’m also interested in how to organize scene data for CAD-like programs. Does anyone know of any good books, online tutorials, code, web pages etc. on this subject?
Thank you,
Luke

You could always download one of the scene graph libraries that have the source available for download and look at those. For example there is the “Open Scene Graph” library. There are countless others too.

-SirKnight

SirKnight, I didn’t know there were any graphics/scene graph libraries for open gl…
Sorry, still learning :slight_smile: Thank you for pointing this out to me. Any particular ones that would be a good example (and work in Windows) ?
Thank you,
Luke

Sorry, ignore this question :slight_smile: I didn’t realize that OpenSceneGraph library worked on Windows and was open source code. What a great learning example that will make.
Thanks again,
Luke

Hmmm, this OpenScene graph looks very nice.
Is it just like a game engine? Or is there a difference?
Kind regards,
Luke

No it’s not a game engine but a tool to use IN a game engine, or any kind of 3d engine for that matter, that will help you keep track of all objects in a scene/world and know what they are doing. Exactly what a scene graph is is told in the Introduction link on openscenegraph.org. Although you probably know this by now.

-SirKnight