Driver Size Mismatch

What unusual combination of circumstances would have to come about in order to get a ‘Driver Size Mismatch’ error from nVidia’s opengl drivers?

Your display driver (nv4_disp.dll) and OpenGL driver (nvoglnt.dll) are incompatible – likely from different driver versions.

• Matt

Most of the driver updates I’ve done on my machine dont say to uninstall the previous drivers and they worked out well.
The latest one (oddly enough!) said I must uninstall the old ones.

V-man

I’ve heard the latest dets change some registry keys, or use old ones differently or so (from a ‘tweaker’ author).
Maybe that’s the reason.

I’ve had this problem since I installed and uninstalled the Stereo drivers along with the original 40.XX drivers. It goes away if I disable my second monitor (which is not an nVidia card). I have attempted to obliterate all signs of the nVidia drivers and reinstall, but to no avail.

I am sure I checked the version numbers and they where all the same.

I haven’t run into these problems, but here’s a few suggestions:

• Check the file sizes of the files in your system32 directory against the files in your install image.

• Make sure there aren’t any other nvoglnt.dll or nv4_disp.dll files elsewhere in your path. I’ve seen problems like this in the past, but not on NVIDIA systems specifically.

• Windows System File Protection (or whatever it’s called) now “protects” nv4_disp.dll, but doesn’t protect nvoglnt.dll. I don’t know much about this feature, but Windows might somehow think that the driver you’re putting on is overwriting critical system files. (?)

• What kind of chip is in your second card?

• Maybe try reinstalling with the second card out? Maybe try reinstalling drivers for the second card.

Another way you can end up getting a driver mismatch is by installing a “Microsoft” NVIDIA driver on top of an NVIDIA driver. Microsoft-distributed drivers don’t include OpenGL, so such an install will update nv4_disp.dll but not nvoglnt.dll. I don’t know if Windows Update provides such drivers, but if you get them off the CD.

Yes, I’m grasping at straws. I don’t know enough about Windows driver installs to give any conclusive recommendations.

It is a TNT card.

Thanks for the help, I know its not exactly on topic. It is just that after 2 months of trying various things to track down the problem (short of reinstalling windows) it just seemed like an ‘advanced’ problem :slight_smile:

A combination of Windows File Protection and the Microsoft nVidia driver probably is the problem.

Interesting. Maybe I’ll learn something from your experience. A “TNT card” is probably a Riva TNT, which is also an NVIDIA card. The drivers on our web site support all NVIDIA devices from the TNT onward.

I don’t know how Windoze works as far as using the same driver for multiple devices. My guess is that Plug and Pray is getting confused and somehow ends up wanting to use one driver for your TNT and another for your other card (and maybe the same nvoglnt.dll or nv4_disp.dll gets used for both?).

One thing you might want to try:

(1) Boot up with both cards installed.

(2) In the device manager, do an “Update Driver” for both cards. Select “Have Disk” and point to the latest NVIDIA Web driver.

(3) Reboot.

Hopefully both cards will then use the same driver.

Note that this is a pretty much uninformed guess.