Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Thread: Voxel engine optimalisation

Junior Member Newbie

Voxel engine optimalisation

Hi all,

For the last few days I have worked on my first OpenGL test project. It's a simple voxel engine in Java with the LWJGL library. I used chunks, just like Minecraft. Those chunks are 16*16*128. When I load the world, I loop over all the blocks in a chunk, creating a VBO with the coordinates, normal coordinates and texture coordinates of every single chunk. Now, when I render 1 chunk of 16*16*128, I get around 250 FPS (Yes, this renders actually all the cubes inside the chunk so 16*16*128 = 32768 quads). However, when I try to render 4 chunks, it already dropped to 40 FPS. What would be the best way to increase my FPS?

Thanks!

Junior Member Regular Contributor Kopelrativ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Basaaa View Post
    Hi all,

For the last few days I have worked on my first OpenGL test project. It's a simple voxel engine in Java with the LWJGL library. I used chunks, just like Minecraft. Those chunks are 16*16*128. When I load the world, I loop over all the blocks in a chunk, creating a VBO with the coordinates, normal coordinates and texture coordinates of every single chunk. Now, when I render 1 chunk of 16*16*128, I get around 250 FPS (Yes, this renders actually all the cubes inside the chunk so 16*16*128 = 32768 quads). However, when I try to render 4 chunks, it already dropped to 40 FPS. What would be the best way to increase my FPS?

Thanks!
    You should use a transformation phase. Transform from a chunk data into a list of visible surfaces. For example, it is no use to draw quads from cubes facing in a direction where there is another solid material.

Getting a good FPS from voxel based data is a challenge. You are going to need a lot of optimization and special hacks, depending on the number of chunks you want to show.

Junior Member Newbie
    Thank you for your answer. I'm gonna try to implement a few optimalisations.
    Another quick question: can I remove faces in a VBO with glBufferSubData?

Junior Member Regular Contributor Kopelrativ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Basaaa View Post
    Thank you for your answer. I'm gonna try to implement a few optimalisations.
    Another quick question: can I remove faces in a VBO with glBufferSubData?
    You can't remove data with glBufferSubData, you can only replace one set of data with another set.

Junior Member Newbie
    Hmm, I'm now switching the code from quads to triangles, but I simply can't get it to work.

Here is my vertex buffer:

Code :
    private float[] buffer_data {
    0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f,
    1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f,
    0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f };

And here I draw it:
    Code :
    GL15.glBindBuffer(GL15.GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, vbo_id);

GL11.glVertexPointer(3, GL_FLOAT, 24, 0);
    GL11.glNormalPointer(GL_FLOAT, 24, 0);
    GL11.glTexCoordPointer(2, GL_FLOAT, 24, 0);

GL11.glDrawArrays(GL11.GL_TRIANGLES, 0, tmp_buffer_array.length / 8);

However, I get a triangle on the z axis (pointing towards me), and the texture coordinates aren't working. Anything wrong with the float array or drawing code? Quads work fine. What could be the problem here?

hi,

Code :
    GL11.glVertexPointer(3, GL_FLOAT, 24, 0);
    GL11.glNormalPointer(GL_FLOAT, 24, 0);
    GL11.glTexCoordPointer(2, GL_FLOAT, 24, 0);

glNormalPointer(GL_FLOAT, 24, 0); << missing first parameter..
    and - looks like you are missing the propper offset and stride for the glNormalPointer, glTexCoordPointer they are not starting with the 1 elementin your buffer data. so the last parameter needs to be 24, and 48 i would guss ..

cu
    uwi
    uwi2k2 - OpenGL Trainer: www.opengl-trainer.com
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Free Programming Helpline: www.programming-hotline.com
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    A Friday Night Programmer: www.uwiworld.net

Junior Member Newbie
    Thank you for your reply.

Is seems that I actually am not missing an argument in glNormalPointer, as this works fine with quads. Also, could you explain how the last parameter works? (pointer_buffer_offset). I still can't get it to work properly.

Thanks!