Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Official feedback on OpenGL 3.1 thread

Senior Member OpenGL Pro Ilian Dinev's Avatar

Re: Official feedback on OpenGL 3.1 thread

Aren't register combiners generating nvASM shaders anyway? Why not go for the real deal - nvASM4?

Senior Member OpenGL Pro

Basically because I don't have the good sense to do so.

Besides, RCs are way cool.

Senior Member OpenGL Guru Dark Photon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brolingstanz
    Besides, RCs are way cool.
    ROTFL! ()

Senior Member OpenGL Guru

RCs were a pain in the butt back in the Geforce 3 area and i ditched them as soon as possible. Someone describing them as "way cool" is the least thing i expected.

Apart from that, i would expect that the RC path hasn't been maintained in drivers for years, i wouldn't use them simply because of that.

Jan.
    GLIM - Immediate Mode Emulation for GL3

Senior Member OpenGL Pro

lol

Well, I missed the RC boat when it sailed, but I'm sure it was all the rage at the time. *ducks and runs away*

Junior Member Regular Contributor

You know that D3D11 is adding backwards compatibility for older hardware again.
    I wouldn't worry about that too much until they actually deliver something. They're not going to magically turn everyone's X1500s into GEForce 8800s.

Intern Contributor

<GL3/gl3.h>

Intern Contributor

Hmmm, and please do us all a favour and remove the Pipeline Newsletter(s) from the front page. Outdated information about an epic fail are not that usefull...

Member Regular Contributor

No, they are not, and that is not the point for D3D9_on_D3D10/11

The point is to have a API covering recent hw generations with a unified API, exposing coarse granularity of features. This makes it easy to write apps for shader centric hw.

And so far, regarding D3D, MS has continously been delivering, while keeping people informed relatively far ahead.

D3D11 tech preview with documentation has been out since last November, this is a year before the release of the final version(assuming Win7/D3D11 gets released in Fall).

At GDC, Khronos hinted vaguely that GL 3.2 will be out in a year or so, but no specifices on a level comparable to D3D11 have been released.

Advanced Member Frequent Contributor

In defense of Khronos: MicroSoft has the ability to dictate the API as it is developed by MicroSoft; Khronos has to work in co-operation with more and cannot just dictate, if they go that route, then GL will not look very attractive. Additionally, all is not roses in DX land either: not all hardware does DX10.1 features (in fact I think all nVidia hardware does not support most DX 10.1 that is not in DX 10.0, someone correct me if I am wrong please) And as far as Khronos delivering, the GL 3.1 spec was a pleasant surprise for a lot of people in that it came out within 6 or so months of 3.0, with really useful stuff in core; (just try to get over GL 3.0 being late, ok?)

I would put even money on GL exposing all that DX10/11 do by the middle of next year AND working in places besides just Vista/Windows 7. As of now the main gripes are direct state access (which is no way near as a big deal as it used to be since the fixed pipeline is bye-bye), separate texture data from filtering, interchangeability of vertex/fragment/geometry shaders (which is possible via ASM interfaces though), pre-compiling of shaders and some fine control of MSAA stuff; (for me, there is one more NV_depth_clamp);