The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 27 of 63 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: The ARB announced OpenGL 3.0 and GLSL 1.30 today

Senior Member OpenGL Pro Zengar's Avatar

Re: The ARB announced OpenGL 3.0 and GLSL 1.30 tod

Quote Originally Posted by Korval
    What is a "feedback loop"?
    feedback loop=rendering to a texture you read from (so having an active texture bound as a render target).

Junior Member Regular Contributor

NVIDIA OpenGL 3.0 Beta driver now available at:
    http://developer.nvidia.com/object/opengl_3_driver.html

NVIDIADisplayWin2K(177_89)Int.exe Installed driver version 6.14.11.7789 successfully on my 8800GTX.

I now have new extensions:
    GL_ARB_draw_instanced
    GL_ARB_half_float_vertex
    GL_ARB_framebuffer_object
    GL_ARB_geometry_shader4
    GL_ARB_texture_buffer_object
    GL_ARB_vertex_array_object

You also need the new version of nvemulate.
    NOTE: I had to switch to an administrator account to enable GL 3.0, it doesnt save the setting from a user account.
    This added the following to WGL_ARB_extensions_string:
    WGL_ARB_create_context

Senior Member OpenGL Guru

What do you want him to do? Tell all the members how to vote?
    Yes. If he is actually in charge to some degree, if he has actual power, then he can dictate that they pass a 3.1 spec that removes the deprecated features by date X. And if they do not, then maybe he can fire them or impose sanctions on the ARB or something.

If he said anything other than "hopes" you'd have immediately called B.S.
    No. The only screwup with regard to OpenGL he's presided over is the GL "3.0" one. The ARB has been screwing GL over for years know. If he's saying that they made a mistake and will move post-haste to correct it, then I would be willing to entertain the possibility that he was telling the truth.

But only to the degree that he had power over the ARB. If all he is is a figurehead, then his words would be of no value. Then again, if all he is is a figurehead, then his hopes have no meaning anyway.

feedback loop=rendering to a texture you read from (so having an active texture bound as a render target).
    I'm fairly certain the spec stated that such things had undefined results if they were from the same texture level. And yes, I mean the "3.0" spec.

[edit] From the spec:

Special precautions need to be taken to avoid attaching a texture image to the
    currently bound framebuffer while the texture object is currently bound and enabled
    for texturing. Doing so could lead to the creation of a feedback loop between
    the writing of pixels by the GLís rendering operations and the simultaneous reading
    of those same pixels when used as texels in the currently bound texture. In this scenario,
    the framebuffer will be considered framebuffer complete (see section 4.4.4),
    but the values of fragments rendered while in this state will be undefined. The
    values of texture samples may be undefined as well, as described at the end of the
    Scale Factor and Level of Detail subsection of section 3.9.7.

Advanced Member Frequent Contributor Mars_999's Avatar

Ok, please clear this up, are VBO still here or did they get renamed to vertex array object? Because VBO's were apart of GL1.5

Advanced Member Frequent Contributor scratt's Avatar

I have a question..

I am working on a long term project. OpenGL based.
    There is a fair amount of legacy code, and an awful lot that will rely on 'deprecated' features. Alongside that is a fair amount of 'cutting edge' OpenGL, which is heavy in shaders and Buffer Objects etc..

Launch for this title is going to be on hardware released 4Q this year, and beyond.

What would people here suggest I do in terms of preparation?

Junior Member Regular Contributor

As far as I understood - VAO is for setting lots of VertexAttribPointers in one call (BindVertexArray). VBO's are still there.
    Similary as lists you "record" VertexAttribPointers and later just bind VAO to automatically set previously stored vertex attribute pointers.

Senior Member OpenGL Guru

Ok, please clear this up, are VBO still here or did they get renamed to vertex array object? Because VBO's were apart of GL1.5
    VAOs do not replace VBOs. VAO's are state objects, representing all of the glVertex*Pointer calls that an application would use. So you can make a bunch of glVertex*Pointer calls, then store them in a VAO, and simply bind that VAO instead of making a half-dozen glVertex*Pointer calls and their associated overhead.

What would people here suggest I do in terms of preparation?
    Rid yourself of the legacy cruft. Or rid yourself of OpenGL entirely. Either one is good.

The only legacy stuff I've got are glMatrix stuff (for shaders), and that's because I'm too lazy to make them real uniforms.

So, any news? The BOF was yesterday, but i can't find any news about what was said anywhere...

Advanced Member Frequent Contributor scratt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korval
    Rid yourself of the legacy cruft. Or rid yourself of OpenGL entirely. Either one is good.
    Getting rid of OpenGL is not really an option.

I obviously need to read the spec in more detail - my apologies but I have not had time to do so yet - I was picking up some quite worrying stuff on a couple of mailing lists..

Most specifically that pretty much all the functionality of glLoadMatrix, attribute stacks et. al. and the fixed function pipeline is going. Cool, but this does kind of shoot a lot of quick prototyping in the foot.

Am I understanding this appendix in the spec. correctly?

Advanced Member Frequent Contributor Mars_999's Avatar

So were these VAO extensions under 2.1?