Where to compute complex operations

Hi everyone,

So, I got my lightning system working: I calculate for each pixel its color value based on the lights sources in the scene, and if it is in a shadow or not. But my problem is: currently, I am doing eveything in the fragment shader, which runs once for each pixel, and I have heard that it is not the wisest solution to compute complex operation in the fragment shader. So my question is: is it better to calculate what can be calculated in the vertex shader, then pass it to the fragment shader through varyings, or rather calculate what I need in the Opengl app, and then give these inputs to the fragment shader that can calculate the final color of the fragment? Or maybe even another solution that I haven’t thought about?

I have heard about lightmaps and stuff, but sadly I have absolutely no clue on how to implement these.

And fot those who are wondering, I an using SFML to communicate with these shaders, which makes that I can’t use a GLSL version higher than 1.2 (and 1.2 is working well enough for me so far).

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer me!

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.