Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Thread: Supporting 30 Bit Color monitors (10 bpc)

Newbie Newbie

Supporting 30 Bit Color monitors (10 bpc)

I have been searching unsuccessfully to try and determine what I thought was a simple question: What does my OpenGL application (actually it is WebGL but I assume it is the same answer) have to do differently to properly support 30 bit color displays? It is a simple 2D image display application (medical images) in which I have implemented my own Fragment Shader. In this shader, I am already passing in and dealing with 16 bit grayscale textures to generate the appropriate normalized gl_FragColor value. Is it as simple as being up to the OpenGL driver to properly convert from this normalized value to a 30 bit (10 bpc) image to display or is there actual additional coding that needs to be done elsewhere in my pipeline to support these wide gamut color displays?

Senior Member OpenGL Guru Dark Photon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by twilson7755 View Post
    What does my OpenGL application (actually it is WebGL but I assume it is the same answer) have to do differently to properly support 30 bit color displays?
    nVidia Quadro GPUs support this:

as do some AMD consumer and professional line GPUs:

NVidia says their GeForce GPUs since the GeForce 200 series do (with DirectX fullscreen windows), but provide little detail on that:

Last edited by Dark Photon; 10-04-2018 at 05:14 AM.