Does the latest driver of Intel GMA 3150 supports OpenGL 2.x in Windows?

Hi,

I have a Samsung N150 Plus netbook with Intel Atom N550 CPU and it comes with Graphics Media Accelerator 3150. I want to run a game that needs OpenGL 2.1. Some people said they got OpenGL 2.1 on Linux on their GMA 3150. So I tried force updating my GMA 3150 Driver to the latest driver given in Intel’s website. But the game still doesn’t works, saying it can’t obtain graphics context. I tried checking what’s my OpenGL version using OpenGL extensions viewer and it says I have OpenGL 1.4.

Here is a screenshot of the Summery page of OpenGL Extension Viewer program - Screenshot by Lightshot

My question is, is there any way to get OpenGL 2.x working on GMA 3150?

Here is the error I received on the game (if anyone is interested, it also has other details regarding my PC like DxDiag page and such - [Archived] osu! was unable to obtain a graphics context · forum | osu!

[QUOTE=tasnim_tamim;1292483]I have a … Intel Atom N550 CPU and it comes with Graphics Media Accelerator 3150.
I want to run a game that needs OpenGL 2.1.
Some people said they got OpenGL 2.1 on Linux on their GMA 3150.
So I tried force updating my GMA 3150 Driver to the latest driver given in Intel’s website. But the game still doesn’t works…
I tried checking what’s my OpenGL version using OpenGL extensions viewer and it says I have OpenGL 1.4.[/QUOTE]

That sounds right. Here (not that this is an authoritative source), it lists OpenGL 1.5 as the latest on Windows and OpenGL 2.1 as the latest on Linux.

You might consider downloading GL Caps Viewer and uploading a report for your GPU+driver. Then we can see it there.

My question is, is there any way to get OpenGL 2.x working on GMA 3150?

The Linux support is likely provided by Mesa3D. In Linux, GL_RENDERER may look something like “Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x300)”, which is Mesa3D via their Gallium3D driver.

However, on Windows you can run with Mesa3D libraries providing you OpenGL support (or OpenGL ES, or Vulkan) instead of your Intel GMA graphics driver.

On your GPU (see this Mesa3D support matrix), Mesa3D is likely to only implement the graphics pipeline in software (CPU), but potentially provide OpenGL 4.6 level capability. That’s better than what you have now, and may get you by until you can upgrade your system. If it’s a simple game, it might be good enough. If the graphics are very demanding, that could be too slow. It’s worth a shot anyway. Here’s the Mesa3D download link: Mesa3D Download.

[QUOTE=Dark Photon;1292485]That sounds right. Here (not that this is an authoritative source), it lists OpenGL 1.5 as the latest on Windows and OpenGL 2.1 as the latest on Linux.

You might consider downloading GL Caps Viewer and uploading a report for your GPU+driver. Then we can see it there.

The Linux support is likely provided by Mesa3D. In Linux, GL_RENDERER may look something like “Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x300)”, which is Mesa3D via their Gallium3D driver.

However, on Windows you can run with Mesa3D libraries providing you OpenGL support (or OpenGL ES, or Vulkan) instead of your Intel GMA graphics driver.

On your GPU (see this Mesa3D support matrix), Mesa3D is likely to only implement the graphics pipeline in software (CPU), but potentially provide OpenGL 4.6 level capability. That’s better than what you have now, and may get you by until you can upgrade your system. If it’s a simple game, it might be good enough. If the graphics are very demanding, that could be too slow. It’s worth a shot anyway. Here’s the Mesa3D download link: Mesa3D Download.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for your response!

I have downloaded GL Caps Viewer and tried opening it, but it gives me Stopped Working so I can’t show you that. But searching on google, i found similar tool called “GPU Caps Viewer”. idk if that works, but here is all the GPU Data Exports - gpu_caps_viewer_report.txt - Pastebin.com

I am interested in Mesa3D implement, Software rendering is also ok for me (At least its better than Old OpenGL 1.4 Hardware Acceleration). But I have no idea how to get to work with Mesa3D for Windows. There isn’t a good setup guide or anything. Sorry for asking this, I am still a noob and have no idea on how to build Mesa3D.

Ok, thanks. That pretty well confirms it.

I am interested in Mesa3D implement,
Software rendering is also ok for me (At least its better than Old OpenGL 1.4 Hardware Acceleration).
But I have no idea how to get to work with Mesa3D for Windows. There isn’t a good setup guide or anything.

Sorry for asking this, I am still a noob and have no idea on how to build Mesa3D.

That’s fine. I totally understand. Looking at their build procedure, I bet you could do it, but it’s not something I’d recommend to a beginner.

So I looked around for a pre-built Windows installer (EXE) for Mesa3D. In this post, pal1000 says he automated the Mesa3D build procedure is generating complete pre-built Windows installers for Mesa3D. You can download them here:

[ul]
[li]mesa-dist-win - Mesa3D Windows Installers (thanks to pal1000!) [/li][/ul]
That’s probably your best bet. See his Install and Usage Instructions here. Just download the latest version (here: mesa-18.2.0-sfx.exe), do a virus scan on it to be safe, and install it. If you really don’t care about the ancient OpenGL drivers you’ve got on there now, he provides an option to install these Mesa3D OpenGL drivers system-wide so that it becomes the default OpenGL implementation.

Just for future reference, here are a few guides for building Mesa3D from source. And as I mentioned, it’s a bit more complicated than doing a Build Solution in MSVS:

[ul]
[li]Building Mesa3D on Windows (Dossena) [/li][li]How to build Mesa for software rendering with llvmpipe on Windows with Visual Studio 2017 (llvmpipe) (Qt) [/li][/ul]

For future reference and linking, I’ve added a these tips on installing Mesa3D on Windows here:

[ul]
[li]Platform_specifics:_Windows#Installing Mesa3D on Windows[/li][/ul]
with a link to it under Getting_Started#Windows.

Dark Photon, could you help me please?

I’ve the same hardware configuration (Intel Atom N530 + GMA3150 with OpenGL 1.4) and I’d like to launch Android emulator (NOX or MeMU) and the problem is the both of these emulators requires OpenGL 2.0.

I have downloaded mesa-18.2.0-sfx.exe, unpacked it, launched systemwidedeploy.cmd, chose there 1. Desktop OpenGL drivers (softpipe and llvmpipe only); and then… Nothing was changed :frowning: Emulators still ask for OpenGL 2.0 and GL View shows the same version - 1.4.

Is there a way to check that Mesa drivers were successfully installed?

Thank you!

Your best option may be the mesa-users mailing list.

Also, read this page.

Depending on how those emulators were built, you might try copying the Mesa3D DLL (if there is one) in your emulator’s EXE directory, since Windows often likes to look for it there. For details, see Dynamic-Link Library Search Order#Search Order for Desktop Applications (Microsoft)

Could you get an answer for your problem?

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.