Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Thread: Dynamic arrays on GLSL

Junior Member Newbie

Dynamic arrays on GLSL

I have worked with C++/OpenSceneGraph/GLSL integration and I need to handle dynamic array on shader.

My dynamic data array of vec3 was converted into 1D-texture to pass as uniform to fragment (I'm using GLSL 1.3), as follows:
    Code :
        osg::ref_ptr<osg::Image> image = new osg::Image; 
        image->setImage(myVec3Array->size(), 1, 1, GL_RGBA8, GL_RGBA, GL_FLOAT, (unsigned char*) &myVec3Array[0], osg::Image::NO_DELETE);

// Pass the texture to GLSL as uniform
        osg::StateSet* ss = scene->getOrCreateStateSet();
        ss->addUniform( new osg::Uniform("vertexMap", texture) );

For now, I would like to retrieve my raw array of vec3 on fragment shader. How can I do this process? Does a texture2D function only return normalized values?

Thanks in advance.

Senior Member OpenGL Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by romulogcerqueira View Post
    For now, I would like to retrieve my raw array of vec3 on fragment shader. How can I do this process? Does a texture2D function only return normalized values?
    If you want to store floating-point values directly, the texture needs to have a floating-point internal format (e.g. GL_RGB32F). Floating-point textures require OpenGL 3.0 (which you should already have if you're using GLSL 1.3) or the ARB_texture_float extension.

If you don't need the full range and precision of IEEE-754 single-precision floats, you can use half-precision floats (e.g. GL_RGB16F), which have a 5-bit exponent and 10-bit significand.

If you want constant absolute error (rather than relative error), then you can use a normalised format or an integer format and perform the scaling in the fragment shader.

Junior Member Newbie
    Hi GClements,

I will can handle the floating-point textures on C++/OSG side, however I still have a question: how can I access this floating-point values on shader side? Could you give me an example?

Thanks in advance.

I will can handle the floating-point textures on C++/OSG side, however I still have a question: how can I access this floating-point values on shader side? Could you give me an example?
    Just use texture2D() etc. The values won't be limited to [0,1] if the texture has a floating-point internal format.

Junior Member Newbie
    Thanks, GClements.

Junior Member Newbie
    GClements,

I'm facing with texture coordinate problem. I passed the floating matrix of vec3 as texture to shader, however I would like to retrieve these values there . Could you help me?

I'm facing with texture coordinate problem. I passed the floating matrix of vec3 as texture to shader, however I would like to retrieve these values there.
    If you're using a texture as an array, you should probably use texelFetch() to retrieve values. That avoids filtering and the need to convert indices to normalised texture coordinates.

Junior Member Newbie
    It worked, GClements. Thanks!