Rotating around pivot point.

Good evening.

I’ve succesfuly rotated a rectangle around left-top corner (0, 0) using GL.Rotate and GL.Translate, but rotating around pivot kinda eludes me.

I’m quite keen on theoretical aspects of rotating around pivot point, I know I have to:

• Rotate around default 0, 0 (left-top corner)
  • Move it to right and up by the pivot point position - for example: by half the width and height if pivot point was at the center

The problem is, rectangle changes it’s size after rotation (which I know can also be calculated using sin/cos) - but I’ve heard that there is a better solution using matrixes and Matrix.Rotate function.

Looking forward to any suggestions - if it helps, I’m using C# OpenTK.

To rotate about the point <x,y,z>:

GL.Translate(x,y,z);
GL.Rotate(...);
GL.Translate(-x,-y,-z);

That suggests that your projection matrix doesn’t match the aspect ratio of the viewport.

The viewport transformation maps the signed unit cube (<-1,-1,-1> to <1,1,1>) to the viewport. If the viewport isn’t square, that’s going to introduce non-uniform scaling. Typically the projection matrix is set to counteract this. For an orthographic projection, you can fold the projection transformation into the model-view matrix. But if you do that with a perspective projection, it tends to mess up the lighting calculations (which is why a separate projection matrix is normally used).

[QUOTE=GClements;1290650]To rotate about the point <x,y,z>:

GL.Translate(x,y,z);
GL.Rotate(...);
GL.Translate(-x,-y,-z);

That suggests that your projection matrix doesn’t match the aspect ratio of the viewport.

The viewport transformation maps the signed unit cube (<-1,-1,-1> to <1,1,1>) to the viewport. If the viewport isn’t square, that’s going to introduce non-uniform scaling. Typically the projection matrix is set to counteract this. For an orthographic projection, you can fold the projection transformation into the model-view matrix. But if you do that with a perspective projection, it tends to mess up the lighting calculations (which is why a separate projection matrix is normally used).[/QUOTE]

I’m not new to programming, but I have little to no knowledge about OpenGL.
I’m not sure if viewport is the issue here, I’m quite sure that the fact I’m using ortho with non-normaliized vectors might be the issue.

Take a look (hope it’s readable enough):
https://i.imgur.com/SF4zVSk.png

Oh, and probably the most important code ran inside OnLoad function.

GL.Enable(EnableCap.Texture2D);
            GL.Enable(EnableCap.Blend);
            GL.Enable(EnableCap.DepthTest);
            GL.BlendFunc(BlendingFactorSrc.SrcAlpha, BlendingFactorDest.DstAlpha);

GL.Viewport(0, 0, Width, Height);
            GL.MatrixMode(MatrixMode.Projection);
            GL.LoadIdentity();
            GL.Ortho(0, Width, Height, 0, 0, 1);