Part of the Khronos Group

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Thread: Scientific plotting in opengl

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Junior Member Newbie

Scientific plotting in opengl

I would like to use a high level plotting library within my opengl application. I believe this is a fairly well covered topic however I am new to opengl and did some research about it, however I could not find any "straightforward" solution. It could be because I am missing even the most basic pointers about opengl.

I am working in a framework that provides me with tabs to create custom visualizations :
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	opengl1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	7.4 KB 
ID:	2669

While I have access to some implementation details, I would like to stick to the framework and use it as intended : Simply write my visualization code in the callback function I am supposed to modify :

Code :
    void Visualization::visuCallback(inputArg info_) //inputArg contains infos like width, height and want I believe to be a void* to an opengl context
        // example code

I would typically need to plot 2d points and other classic scientific graph things.
    it seems to be quite a pain to do that directly in opengl. I usually do my plots in matlab but really any c++ library would work for me, as long as it is very high level, quick and easy to use (Pyhton / matlab -like api for instance).
    My main problem is to make whatever library used plot in the opengl window.

Do you have pointers about how to achieve that, or how this is typically done ?

Last edited by holypony; 02-12-2018 at 11:06 PM.