Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Thread: Software rendering with Ubuntu17.10 and OpenGL 4.5+

Intern Contributor

Software rendering with Ubuntu17.10 and OpenGL 4.5+

Hello,

I recently restarted my small OpenGL fun project. I have a github repository together with Travis CI for continuous testing. I use an ubuntu 17.10 docker image on Travis to get the latest library versions and cpp features. Everything works fine so far, except for OpenGL. I already found out, that I have to use a virtual frame buffer (https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...ss-environment) if I want to test my OpenGL applications on Travis CI. As long as I create a 3.0 Context, everything runs, but if I start using version 4.5 (which I intend to use) the applications start crashing. This is obviously driver related, but since I am no Linux expert, I am not sure, where to get the necessary offscreen drivers. It would be nice, if somebody could give me hint, which libs I need and which repository contains them.

Here is my Dockerfile, so that you see the content of my current docker image:

Code :
    #Download base image ubuntu 17.10
    FROM ubuntu:17.10

# Update Ubuntu 
    RUN apt-get update

# Get basic libraries
    RUN apt-get install -y cmake git g++ clang-5.0 libboost-test-dev

# Get libraries for codecov
    RUN apt-get -y install lcov curl

# Get opengl related libraries
    RUN apt-get install -y freeglut3-dev libglew-dev mesa-utils xvfb

# Create directories
    RUN mkdir /home/usr && mkdir /home/usr/gdl && mkdir /home/usr/gdl/build && mkdir /home/usr/gdl/code

#RUN export DISPLAY=:99 && export LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1

WORKDIR /home/usr/gdl/build

Senior Member OpenGL Guru Dark Photon's Avatar
    Which GPU and GL driver are you running?

For the latter, let's start with the output of:
    Code :
    glxinfo | egrep 'OpenGL (vendor|renderer|version)'

For the former, you'll probably get some hits with the output of:
    Code :
    lspci | grep VGA
    or for Ubuntu specifically:
    Code :
    sudo lshw -C display

If on the off chance this is Mesa3D, you probably want to read this thread. Your comment reminded me of it. Also, your LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE reference suggests you're probably running Mesa3D.

Intern Contributor
    Which GPU and GL driver are you running?
    For the GPU... no clue, since it is running on a server I don't own. But as far as I understood it, they don't have any real GPUs. But I will try your suggestions and give you the summarized output as soon as I could (which is probably tomorrow -.-).

If on the off chance this is Mesa3D, you probably want to read this thread. Your comment reminded me of it. Also, your LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE reference suggests you're probably running Mesa3D.
    Thanks for the link. I will read it and keep you updated about my progress.

Intern Contributor
    Just a quick update:

It is still not running, but I have managed to build an image that downloads mesa, builds and installs it. Now I have to figure out, how I get OpenGL version 4.5 activated. If I read it correctly, it should be possible (somehow). Unfortunately I have not that much time at the moment. So I will give another update in the upcoming days if I somehow manage to get it running or if I get stuck.