Porting OpenGL to GLESv2

I’m trying to port an OpenGL program to GLESv2. The program uses the following code a texture to the default framebuffer (it also fails if I render it to an fbo which also works on OpenGL).

glBindFramebuffer(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, 0); 
        glVertexAttribPointer(bgra_texcoords, 2, GL_FLOAT, GL_FALSE, 0, display_texcoords);
        glEnableVertexAttribArray(bgra_texcoords);
        DEBUG_ERROR_CHECK();

glBindBuffer(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, vertex_buffer);
        glUseProgram(bgra_program);
        glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, inst->texture);
        glUniform1i(bgra_texture, 0); 
        glViewport(inst->x, root_surface->h - (inst->y + inst->h), inst->w, inst->h);
        DEBUG_ERROR_CHECK();

glDrawArrays(GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP, 0, 4); 
        DEBUG_ERROR_CHECK();
        glBindBuffer(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, 0); 
        glFlush();

This works fine with OpenGL but it fails on glDrawArrays() under GLESv2 with GL_INVALID_VALUE. I read this question: c++ - glDrawElements throw GL_INVALID_VALUE error - Stack Overflow which is very similar to my problem but I can’t figure out how to apply the solution to my code since I’m not using VertexArray and I’m very new to GL.

inst->texture is a texture uploaded with glTexImage2D(). I created the vertex_buffer right after initializing EGL and compiling the shaders:

glGenBuffers(1, &vertex_buffer);
        glBufferData(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, sizeof(vertices), 
                vertices, GL_STATIC_DRAW);
        glVertexAttribPointer(bgra_pos, 2, GL_FLOAT, GL_FALSE, 0, 0); 
        glEnableVertexAttribArray(bgra_pos);
        DEBUG_ERROR_CHECK();

Edit: You can look at the whole source file here: mediabox/video-opengl.c at bc4135d9568b2c5b4e8f39ac63ded2cb66023bcd · fdev1/mediabox · GitHub. The file is a video “driver” for a compositor, all it does is creates 2D surfaces and render them to the screen. If there is anything wrong with the question or am missing something please post a comment so I can fix it. Thanks.

I didn’t look pick through all your code. But here are a few thoughts.

[ul]
[li]I suspect your avbox_glTexImage2D() wrapper should actually call glTexImage2D on the GLES side. [/li][li]Are you actually calling glCheckFramebufferStatus()? Your #if check before it looks backwards (says “#ifdef NDEBUG”; this is more commonly written #ifndef NDEBUG so that it only compiles in in debug builds). [/li][li]If you haven’t already, read up on the color renderable internal formats in the GLES 2.0 spec (and here). I think you’ll be surprised at how constrained it is by default without extensions. Also check the internal format you’re assigning to inst->texture. It’s not one of those, right? Then check your extensions to see what the full set your implementation can support is. [/li][/ul]