Newbie question about moving a selected number of pixels

I know how to draw shapes, move, and deform them by modifying the uv coordinates:

// Code moves a circle to the right of the screen...

void main () {

vec2 uv     = gl_FragCoord.xy / screen.xy;
    vec4 tex2D  = texture2D(sampler, u_texCoords);
    uv.x        *= screen.x / screen.y; // aspect ratio

vec4 color = vec4(0.0);

uv -= 0.5;

uv -= vec2(0.3, 0.0);
    float d = length(uv);
    color.a = smoothstep(0.3 - 0.01, 0.3, d);
    gl_FragColor = color;

}

I needed to modify the texture UV in order to move it, I can move and warp the image, but now the only thing left is to move particular pixel colors. I pass in the modified texture UV before calling texture2D which gives me the color vec4.

What if I want to move all the green elements and leave the rest in the same place? I’m clearly not understanding something. Below I’ll share the code I’ve tried so far, I’ve removed some of the code so it’s not as long, but this covers the mug portion of the drawing. Thanks in advance, hope I made sense.

void main () {

vec2 uv     = gl_FragCoord.xy / screen.xy;
    vec2 ndc    = vec2(uv.x * 2.0 - 1.0, uv.y * 2.0 - 1.0);

uv.x        *= screen.x / screen.y; // aspect ratio
    uv -= 0.5;

vec2 texCoords = u_texCoords;
    texCoords -= vec2(0.2, 0.2); // It moves :) But how can I move based on color?

vec4 tex2D  = texture2D(sampler, texCoords);

gl_FragColor = Paint(uv, tex2D);

}

I would have done something similar to this:

vec4 Paint (vec2 uv, vec4 tex) {

vec4 color = vec4(0.0);

if (tex.r == (223.0 / 255.0) && tex.g == (242.0 / 255.0) && tex.b == (247.0 / 255.0) && tex.a == 1.0) {

uv -= vec2(0.4, 0.0); // nothing happens

color.a = 1.0;
    }

return color;
}

I’m able to replace colors I choose with another color, but this won’t work for moving those particular pixels.

Upon entry to the fragment shader, the destination fragment coordinates are already determined.

If you’re moving the pixels by a fixed distance, then you need to sample the texture at a point which is that distance in the opposite direction. If the colour matches (use the distance() function rather than equality checks) then write it to gl_FragColor; otherwise sample the texture at the original texture coordinates and write that value to gl_FragColor.

If you’re moving by a distance which depends upon the source value, then a fragment shader may not be a suitable approach, as you’d have to test multiple pixels until you find one which ends up at the destination coordinates. Another option is to use imageStore within a compute shader (but note that unlike a fragment shader, there’s no guarantee that each pixel will be written exactly once; some pixels may be written several times, some may not be written at all).

[QUOTE=GClements;1289219]Upon entry to the fragment shader, the destination fragment coordinates are already determined.

If you’re moving the pixels by a fixed distance, then you need to sample the texture at a point which is that distance in the opposite direction. If the colour matches (use the distance() function rather than equality checks) then write it to gl_FragColor; otherwise sample the texture at the original texture coordinates and write that value to gl_FragColor.

If you’re moving by a distance which depends upon the source value, then a fragment shader may not be a suitable approach, as you’d have to test multiple pixels until you find one which ends up at the destination coordinates. Another option is to use imageStore within a compute shader (but note that unlike a fragment shader, there’s no guarantee that each pixel will be written exactly once; some pixels may be written several times, some may not be written at all).[/QUOTE]

GC, thanks, I’m clear now :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.