Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need some Help with old games rendered in OpenGL

Senior Member OpenGL Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by x58haze View Post
    i can tell that even by forcing hl.exe or cs 1.6 to 1 single core, i can tell how the cpu05 or cpu 04 or cpu 03 gets like 5% somethings 10% or 7% and cpu core 0 gets 90-100%.... :/
    100% usage on one core is normal; that's just a busy-wait loop and doesn't indicate bad performance - any busy-wait loop will give you that, no matter how much (or how little) work it does.

The low usage on the other cores is probably because the GL, sound or other driver(s) are multithreaded.

What I'm interested in is, with this setup, how gameplay is compared to (1) your old Athlon, and (2) your newer PCs running as normal.

Member Regular Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by x58haze View Post
    @mhagain

I have tried already to disable SMT (simultaneous multicore threading) and run cs 1.6 with one core, but when i run on it RIVATUNER STADISTICS with monitoring the 6 physical cpu from the ryzen 5 1600 smt off total 6 cores
    i can tell that even by forcing hl.exe or cs 1.6 to 1 single core, i can tell how the cpu05 or cpu 04 or cpu 03 gets like 5% somethings 10% or 7% and cpu core 0 gets 90-100%.... :/
    This is how the OS scheduler is working. You cannot do anything against that, except if you're able to configure your OS to only run tasks in the same hardware core... which I doubt it is possible.
    Anyway I don't think that your issue is related to this.

Member Regular Contributor
    To try to give you some hints about your issues:

Your problem might just come from how your game was developed. I mean their main loop (the one looping all the time, checking keyboard inputs, updating the game and rendering it) might have been optimized for computers of this age.
    If you can access it, you might try to edit the game configuration file and modify the tick count, or other counters, and see if that could change things.

EDIT: if for example they expect some operation to always take at least several microseconds, but with a new hardware it take less than 1 microsecond, and if they did not use timing able to proceed at the nanosecond level, then for sure the game will behave very bad: players will appear not to move or so on.

Junior Member Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Silence View Post
    To try to give you some hints about your issues:

Your problem might just come from how your game was developed. I mean their main loop (the one looping all the time, checking keyboard inputs, updating the game and rendering it) might have been optimized for computers of this age.
    If you can access it, you might try to edit the game configuration file and modify the tick count, or other counters, and see if that could change things.

EDIT: if for example they expect some operation to always take at least several microseconds, but with a new hardware it take less than 1 microsecond, and if they did not use timing able to proceed at the nanosecond level, then for sure the game will behave very bad: players will appear not to move or so on.
    This is so interesting omg :O, how to check the main loop from the game? because there are a couple of weird files or extensions that i don't know xd
    This is the files that came with counter strike or hl.exe: also when going to CS'STRIKE folder there is 2 folders with cl_dlls (client dll) and other folders with DLLS name i will attachedo one picture

also i have tried to reduce repeat rate keys to my keyboard through windows to have less input lag or annoying latency to my mouse, trying things like that , but yeah this is very annoying, wish i can go more deep, something i have notice while in game by using only 6 physical cores with multi-threading off, is that some servers when playing counter strike 1.6 when pressing STATS in console, it says cpu 200, sometimes 180, and when this happen, i can feel the game more fast than usual and i dont like, them i just when to task manager and disable 1 or 2 cores or 3 cores to get the cpu at 100-120 and i up the priority of hl.exe to above normal or below normal, but this is not a fix, because i have start the game with one single core..... and it seems that certains servers are differents... so i dont think this correct at all

also i always en sure to disable COOL-Quiet amd features in bios, C6 state, and all c states cores, wish i can do more, thanks for your help, im so happy to read your comment, if you can help me more i will be so happy and grateful, and of course im happy too with the others members of Open-gl community helping me, ty

Junior Member Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by mhagain View Post
    100% usage on one core is normal; that's just a busy-wait loop and doesn't indicate bad performance - any busy-wait loop will give you that, no matter how much (or how little) work it does.

The low usage on the other cores is probably because the GL, sound or other driver(s) are multithreaded.

What I'm interested in is, with this setup, how gameplay is compared to (1) your old Athlon, and (2) your newer PCs running as normal.

Well i would love to know that too, because i don't have that pc anymore :/

And yeah as i said: i force Hl.exe before running the game, to run in Single-core and yeah you can tell that even by forcing to 1 one core, it seems to use others cores, maybe the Rivatuner the drivers which contains the monitoring cpu, has some multi-threading itself that cause that thing.. or maybe not

i answered to silence that i have notice something with the cpu affinity cores when playing in certains servers... like in game cpu goes from 100 to 200 steady and game feel more fast, and uncontrol-able shoots, is not throttling like those game thats you set fps above 60 and characters move like sonic, no,no this is just like game seems to be more responsiveness but not acuraccy is crazy to play that, but i can fix when untick some cores, but when you untick cores is hard to put back because game seems to bug.. but i dont think this is the real problem, maybe theres is something there that i'm missing like Silence says: Maybe the game have a old Thick Loop configured compared to newer hardware which have a fast thick loop, and thats the cause of way old games doesn't seems to perform properly, and he claims that maybe there should be a way to config that file in our game-folders, but im curious :O sorry for my English and thanks again.

Junior Member Newbie
    bump help

Senior Member OpenGL Guru Dark Photon's Avatar
    So far, this thread doesn't really seem to have anything to do with OpenGL. I think your best bet is to find some forums for gamers trying to optimize Counterstrike or Halflife performance. You'll probably find more useful tips there.

Newbie Newbie

Wink Try retro gaming on Raspberry Pi with OpenGL enabled

I'm not sure if it can help, but hope so! Try to build up a gaming machine on Raspberry Pi. For better performance, you can even enable OpenGL driver on Raspbian. I've found out how - https://eltechs.com/how-to-enable-op...-raspberry-pi/