Total noob, need help installing OpenGL

Hey all,

I would like to apologize up front for being a total noob. I really don’t know what i’m doing. I need OpenGL for Meshmixer and Photoscan to create 3D objects.

Meshmixer says I don’t have OpenGL, and Photoscan says it’s using version 1.1.0. I have a Nvidia GTX970 with latest updated graphics drivers.

I tried for hours looking on the web to install OpenGL, but found just some .dll files etc,… and no instructions on what to do.

Could some kind soul please help me?

Thanks in advanced.

[QUOTE=OpenGL-Ne;1288470]I have a Nvidia GTX970 with latest updated graphics drivers.

I tried for hours looking on the web to install OpenGL, but found just some .dll files [/QUOTE]

It’s unclear. It sounds like you may have the latest NVidia drivers installed, which will give you the latest OpenGL drivers for your card. But just in case not…

To find the latest NVidia drivers, just websearch “nvidia download” and the the NVidia driver download page will come right up:

Select your GPU and OS, and it’ll give you a download link to the latest NVidia driver installer .EXE (for Windows-based OSs). Download that, run it, and wait for it complete. You’ll have the latest NVidia OpenGL drivers installed on your system.

You can verify this install by running any one of a number of utilities, including glCapsViewer.

Have you a laptop with NVIDIA Optimus? This kind of thing can happen in this scenario where the NVIDIA drivers are indeed up to date but the Intel drivers may not be.

That’s a good point. If this is the case, make sure you configure your driver to prefer the NVidia GPU over the Intel GPU:

Got it!!

I updated the Intel chip-set drivers to the latest ones, and now the programs recognize OpenGL 4.5.

Thanks for your help guys!

:slight_smile:

From the sound of things, even though you now have your programs working, they may actually be using your Intel GPU rather than your NVIDIA (yes, recent Intels support GL 4.5). I would suggest following the advice of Dark Photon anyway, just to be certain: Intel GPUs are no longer absolutely useless, but they’re still not as powerful as a good NVIDIA or AMD.

I went to the Manage 3D settings, but the only GPU there is the NVidia GTX970. I must not have an intel GPU,… I have an Asus X99 Motherboard with a Intel 5960X CPU.

I was able to render my 3D model that I plan to 3D print, and it was speedy, so I think things are configured correctly.

Thanks again for the help,… Cheers!

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.