Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clear a single cubemap in a cubemap Array

Junior Member Newbie

Clear a single cubemap in a cubemap Array

I need to clear a specific cubemap layer within a cubemap array. I think this may be achievable with glFramebufferTextureLayer, and below is my attempt, but it is still clearing the entire cubemap array.

Code :
    GL.BindFramebuffer(FramebufferTarget.Framebuffer, shadowMapArray.FBO_handle);

FramebufferTarget target = FramebufferTarget.Framebuffer;
    FramebufferAttachment attachment = FramebufferAttachment.ColorAttachment0;
    int level = 0;
    int layer = currentShadowMap;
    int texture = shadowMapArray.FBO_handle;

GL.FramebufferTextureLayer(target, attachment, texture, level, layer);
    GL.Clear(ClearBufferMask.ColorBufferBit | ClearBufferMask.DepthBufferBit);

FBO/Cubemap Array creation and attachment:

Code :
    public CubeMapArray()
    {
        // Create the FBO
        GL.GenFramebuffers(1, out FBO_handle);

// Create and bind the CubeMap array
        GL.GenTextures(1, out cubeMapTextureHandle);
        GL.BindTexture(TextureTarget.TextureCubeMapArray, cubeMapTextureHandle);

// Allocate storage space
        GL.TexImage3D(TextureTarget.TextureCubeMapArray, 0, PixelInternalFormat.Rg16, size, size, layers * 6, 0, PixelFormat.Red, PixelType.Float, IntPtr.Zero);

// Set the suitable texture parameters
        GL.TexParameter(TextureTarget.TextureCubeMapArray, TextureParameterName.TextureMagFilter, (int)TextureMagFilter.Nearest);
        GL.TexParameter(TextureTarget.TextureCubeMapArray, TextureParameterName.TextureMinFilter, (int)TextureMinFilter.Nearest);
        GL.TexParameter(TextureTarget.TextureCubeMapArray, TextureParameterName.TextureWrapS, (int)TextureWrapMode.ClampToEdge);
        GL.TexParameter(TextureTarget.TextureCubeMapArray, TextureParameterName.TextureWrapT, (int)TextureWrapMode.ClampToEdge);
        GL.TexParameter(TextureTarget.TextureCubeMapArray, TextureParameterName.TextureWrapR, (int)TextureWrapMode.ClampToEdge);
        GL.TexParameter(TextureTarget.TextureCubeMapArray, TextureParameterName.TextureBaseLevel, 0);
        GL.TexParameter(TextureTarget.TextureCubeMapArray, TextureParameterName.TextureMaxLevel, 0);

// Create and bind the CubeMap depth array
        GL.GenTextures(1, out cubeMapDepthHandle);
        GL.BindTexture(TextureTarget.TextureCubeMapArray, cubeMapDepthHandle);

// Allocate storage space
        GL.TexImage3D(TextureTarget.TextureCubeMapArray, 0, PixelInternalFormat.DepthComponent, size, size, layers * 6, 0, PixelFormat.DepthComponent, PixelType.UnsignedByte, IntPtr.Zero);

// Set the suitable texture parameters
        GL.TexParameter(TextureTarget.TextureCubeMapArray, TextureParameterName.TextureMagFilter, (int)TextureMagFilter.Linear);
        GL.TexParameter(TextureTarget.TextureCubeMapArray, TextureParameterName.TextureMinFilter, (int)TextureMinFilter.Linear);
        GL.TexParameter(TextureTarget.TextureCubeMapArray, TextureParameterName.TextureWrapS, (int)TextureWrapMode.ClampToEdge);
        GL.TexParameter(TextureTarget.TextureCubeMapArray, TextureParameterName.TextureWrapT, (int)TextureWrapMode.ClampToEdge);
        GL.TexParameter(TextureTarget.TextureCubeMapArray, TextureParameterName.TextureWrapR, (int)TextureWrapMode.ClampToEdge);
        GL.TexParameter(TextureTarget.TextureCubeMapArray, TextureParameterName.TextureBaseLevel, 0);
        GL.TexParameter(TextureTarget.TextureCubeMapArray, TextureParameterName.TextureMaxLevel, 0);
    }

Junior Member Newbie
    No, there is not some reason why I can't use glClearTexSubImage. I'll give it another try. I mentioned it on StackOverflow but nobody acknowledged it, instead referring me to glFramebufferTextureLayer, people even upvoted the answer. Still cleared the whole cubemap array for me.

Junior Member Newbie
    The cubemap array contains 8 cubemaps, I'm trying to clear only the one at index 2, except it's wiping the lot.

Code :
    int layer = currentShadowMap;
    int texture = shadowMapArray.FBO_handle;
    int level = 2; // Attempting to clear cubemap at index 2
    int xoffset = 0;
    int yoffset = 0;
    int zoffset = 0;
    int width = shadowMapArray.size;
    int height = shadowMapArray.size;
    int depth = 6;
    PixelFormat format = PixelFormat.Red;
    PixelType type = PixelType.Float;
    IntPtr data = IntPtr.Zero;

GL.BindFramebuffer(FramebufferTarget.Framebuffer, shadowMapArray.FBO_handle);
    GL.ClearTexSubImage(texture, level, xoffset, yoffset, zoffset, width, height, depth, format, type, data);

Member Regular Contributor
    Code :

GL.ClearTexSubImage(texture, level, xoffset, yoffset, zoffset, width, height, depth, format, type, data);

level means the "mipmap level" to clear, i guess that ought to be 0. and you dont have to bind a framebuffer to clear a (sub-) texture (attached to it)

Quote Originally Posted by john_connor View Post
    Code :

level means the "mipmap level" to clear, i guess that ought to be 0. and you dont have to bind a framebuffer to clear a (sub-) texture (attached to it)
    Yes as far as I understand it, it looks like the OP is mixing levels and layers.

To the OP, also try to select the face you want first by calling glFramebufferTextureFace. You need ARB_geometry_shader4 to use it however.

Junior Member Newbie
    Ah right that clears it up, level is "mipmap level".

I couldn't find any documentation for glFramebufferTextureFace. Despite returning an InvalidOperation error, this is actually working and clears the first cubemap. How would I for example clear the second in the array?

Code :
    FramebufferTarget target = FramebufferTarget.Framebuffer;
    FramebufferAttachment attachemnt = FramebufferAttachment.ColorAttachment0;
    int texture = shadowMapArray.cubeMapTextureHandle;
    int level = 0;
    TextureTarget face = TextureTarget.TextureCubeMap;

int xoffset = 0;
    int yoffset = 0;
    int zoffset = 0;
    int width = shadowMapArray.size;
    int height = shadowMapArray.size;
    int depth = 6;
    PixelFormat format = PixelFormat.Red;
    PixelType type = PixelType.Float;
    IntPtr data = IntPtr.Zero;

GL.Arb.FramebufferTextureFace(target, attachemnt, texture, level, face);
    shadowMapArray.cubeMapTextureHandle is the actual texture handle, is this correct?

Code :
    // Create the FBO
    GL.GenFramebuffers(1, out FBO_handle);

// Create and bind the CubeMap array
    GL.GenTextures(1, out cubeMapTextureHandle);
    GL.BindTexture(TextureTarget.TextureCubeMapArray, cubeMapTextureHandle);
    Last edited by livin_amuk; 09-12-2017 at 04:17 AM.

Well, I don't know if what I told above can be useful for you.

In case it might, here are some links that might help further:

https://www.khronos.org/opengl/wiki/...ered_Rendering
    https://www.khronos.org/opengl/wiki/...array_textures

Junior Member Newbie
    I was slow at editing my reply above and didn't see this, I read through that documentation but couldn't see what I'm after however.

The updated code above actually works, but only clears the first cubemap in the array, do you know where I make the change to indicate subsequent a cubemap? By changing depth from 6 to 7 it clears all the entire first cubemap and one face of the second cubemap, as expected. What I need to do obivously is specify the starting offset. Any value other than 0 for xoffset, yoffset, or zoffset and nothing is cleared at all, I guess they refer to regions within the individual cubemap faces.
    Last edited by livin_amuk; 09-12-2017 at 04:29 AM.

Senior Member OpenGL Pro
    Documentation: https://www.khronos.org/registry/Ope...ar_texture.txt

Cube map textures are treated as an array of six slices in the z-dimension, where the value of <zoffset> is interpreted as specifying the cube map face for the corresponding <layer> in table 9.3 (Layer numbers for cube map texture faces) and <depth> is the number of faces to clear. For cube map array textures, <zoffset> is the first layer-face to clear, and <depth> is the number of layer-faces to clear. Each layer-face is translated into an array layer and a cube map face as described for layer-face numbers in section 8.5.3.