Diamond GL - pure C++ for OpenGL API (in development)

I development C++ (planned fully C++14, C++17 compatible, with Visual Studio support) wrapper for OpenGL API.
https://github.com/AwokenGraphics/diamond-gl

Advantages:

• Support of GLM
  • Support of STL (vector, string)
  • Utils for simpler access
  • Same paradigm as in OpenGL (nearest as can)
  • Object oriented for C++
  • Combined most OpenGL functions
  • Support of DSA

Disadvantages:

• Not all API functions released at now (in TODO - FBO, query, state functions)
  • No CUDA support
  • In early stage of development

If you’re looking for some advice, I find many of your design choices to be… dubious.

Your API is needlessly objectified. As an example, take state.hpp.

You have this _blend type, and you create a global, non-constant blend object. Why? What advantages does this offer over simply having those be namespace-scoped functions? None of those functions modify the members of the _blend object. In fact, there are no members of the _blend object. So what’s the point of them being in an object? If you want to group those functions together, then use a namespace, or static members.

The user gets zero benefit from calling blend.func vs. blend::func.

Also, there are a number of places where you don’t take advantage of obvious avenues for C+±ification of the OpenGL API. For example, you don’t use enum class where appropriate. Admittedly, gl.xml doesn’t make it easy to extract out the appropriate enumerators for every function (though it’s much better now than it used to be). But any good C++ wrapper of OpenGL ought to at least make an attempt to support this.

And then there’s just some very unfortunate design choices.

First, uniform::set takes vector<T>. That’s wonderful… for people who store their data in vectors. For everyone else, it’s a terrible API. They now have to copy that data to a vector before they can pass it to you. Which means every time you send data to a uniform, you have to allocate memory that will be almost immediately deleted.

A pointer and a size would be an interface that anyone could use, regardless of their container of choice. Or even better, the GSL type span.

Oh, and FYI: if you want to test if a type is the same as another type, you use std::is_same; you don’t use typeid unless you need to make a runtime determination.

Then, there’s your base type. This is a type whose sole purpose is to allocate storage for OpenGL objects. Ignoring the bug you have in it (not deallocating memory), you derive from this class a lot. Publicly.

But you never use it as a public base class. You aren’t using inheritance for polymorphism, since base doesn’t have any virtual functions. You treat it like a member variable. So… why isn’t it a member variable? Why are you inheriting from it?

You also use it in a lot of places where it is quite frankly unnecessary and needlessly performance-unfriendly. Consider shader and program. base has the ability to allocate an array of objects; you tell it how many to allocate. And yet, shader and program both… only ever allocate one such object. In fact, OpenGL doesn’t even allow you to allocate an array of shader/program objects. So neither shader nor program needs dynamic allocation at all; it just needs to store a GLuint.

This is even further abused with the _mode class. There, you’re not even using the dynamic allocation to store an OpenGL object; you’re just storing an integer. So why are you using base for this?

I haven’t done a detailed look through this, but thus far, I cannot say that I find many of the choices made in the design of this system to be particularly good.

About state functions (blend, etc.). I reserved for future multi-context purposes.
About shaders, programs, I tried to reduce this gap. Mainly allocation doing for a single (base) variable. But when I just put the address of the program, it removing by GC.
I replaced typeid to is_same.

About “why I use pointers”? I reserved for multiple object creation. It doing for tuples.

My point is that glCreateShader/Program cannot do multiple object creation. Those functions create a single object at a time. So it makes no sense for your shader and program types to support something that OpenGL does not.

I know. I tried to make combined method for allocations. I used smart pointers for GLuint object.

Yeah, I saw that. You’ve fixed the memory leak, but that doesn’t fix the defects in your overall design.

Your design with this base class is just… pointless. Dynamically allocating a GLuint serves no purpose. There’s no point in having a class whose only purpose is to dynamically allocate a GLuint. At least before, when it was possible that you could allocate an array of GLuints, base made sense. But once you took that away, base stopped having a purpose.

It would be far better to just give every derived class a GLuint member. And then not have them derive from base at all.

Also, every one of those classes should be non-copyable. And they should have a move constructor whose job it is to manage ownership of their object (blanking out the original as it copies to the new).

This is a far superior mechanism for doing what you’re attempting:

template<class ObjectBuilder>
class opengl_object
{
private:
	GLuint obj_ = 0;

public:
	opengl_object() = default;
	opengl_object()
	{
		reset();
	}

//non-copyable
	opengl_object(const opengl_object&) = delete;
	opengl_object& operator=(const opengl_object&) = delete;

//moveable
	opengl_object(opengl_object &&other)
		: obj_(other.release())
	{
	}

opengl_object& operator=(opengl_object &&other)
	{
		reset(other.release());
	}

template<typename ...Args>
	void construct(Args ...&&args)
	{
		reset(ObjectBuilder::create_object(std::forward<Args>(args)...));
	}

GLuint get() const {return obj_;}

GLuint release()
	{
		auto ret = obj_;
		obj_ = 0;
		return ret;
	}

void reset(GLuint new_obj = 0)
	{
		if(obj_)
			ObjectBuilder::delete_object(obj_);
		obj_ = new_obj;
	}
};

This class does no dynamic allocation. It has absolutely zero overhead compared to a GLuint object. The class exists solely to manage the object. Its destructor ensures that, if it currently manages a real OpenGL object, the object will be destroyed.

The 'ObjectBuildertemplate parameter is a type that provides static methods to create and destroy OpenGL objects of a particular kind. So you would have atexture_builder, buffer_builder, shader_builder, etc. Note that opengl_object::constructis a variadic function; this allowscreate_objectto have parameters, which is vital for callingglCreateTextures`. Here are some examples:

struct texture_builder
{
	static GLuint create_object(GLenum target)
	{
		GLuint ret;
		glCreateTextures(target, &ret, 1);
		return ret;
	}

static void delete_object(GLuint obj)
	{
		glDeleteBuffers(&obj, 1);
	}
};

struct buffer_builder
{
	static GLuint create_object()
	{
		GLuint ret;
		glCreateBuffers(&ret, 1);
		return ret;
	}

static void delete_object(GLuint obj)
	{
		glDeleteBuffers(&obj, 1);
	}
};

So, a texture type would have a member of type opengl_object&lt;texture_builder&gt;. Note that it should not derive from this class; it should just have it as a member. You can fetch the OpenGL object with the get method.

I have operator GLuint for return gl object.
Also, I designed for multiply creation of buffers, multi-bind, and linking. If create vectors need count reference (if make movable only as you said, gl buffer deletion can be just blocked, because moved).
Main question - how to be with sub-objects, where have link with original object? (it is uniform, VAO, texture_level)

I remedy design.

But the shared_ptr design you had before wouldn’t work with any of that. You had no facility for allocating an array of objects via shared_ptr. Or at least, I didn’t see it. So how would multiple creation, multi-bind, and so forth work?

I don’t know what you mean by that.

Outside of VAOs… why do those need to be objects at all? You can’t use them independently of their owner, so why do you need them to be objects?

I prefer to follow the C++ axiom: do not pay for what you don’t use. You shouldn’t be forced into shared ownership overhead, just because you want to upload to a mipmap level of a texture. Wrappers like you’re writing should minimize their overhead; you should never give someone a reason to avoid using your wrapper.

The project is not completely abandoned. It’s just that now it’s not very relevant for me. I do not really want to wrap myself personally. But I would like to realize my concept. I even know how I could do it differently (via C ++ map). On the one hand, I plan to rewrite the project, but this should not prevent the implementation of the wrapper as a whole. Just now, all my forces are thrown on another project - ray tracing in real time (though OpenGL, but without the wrapper).