finding out what my graphic card is

Hello dear openGL community,

As I’m getting started, I’m looking to get the most recent drivers for my graphic card but as I look on my computer, I find out that there are two entries for graphic cards:

1. AMD Radeon HD 8750M
  2. Intel® HD Graphics 4600

So does it mean my computer has more than one graphic cards?

And for wich one should I check for drivers?

Thank you.

Yes. It seems that more and more new computers (specially laptops) provide 2 graphic cards… Sometimes they provide a ‘crappy’ one in the motherboard. Sometimes, your CPU will go along with a GPU (specially with the previous AMD CPU generation).
I would suggest to focus on the Radeon GC.

Awesome answer, thank you.

And while I got you here… I’m working on a mini video game for fun and I would like your advice.

Should I go basic working with openGL with the minimum like GLEW and GLUT and the likes or would I be better served with a IDE like openFrameworks?

Thank you.

[QUOTE=Will45;1287969]Awesome answer, thank you.

And while I got you here… I’m working on a mini video game for fun and I would like your advice.

Should I go basic working with openGL with the minimum like GLEW and GLUT and the likes or would I be better served with a IDE like openFrameworks?

Thank you.[/QUOTE]

It all depends on what you want. Learning OpenGL will allow you to afford more, maybe. With an existing framework, you’ll get stuck within. But this, again, depends more on your wishes and where you want to go.

I want to go as far as possible but the possibilities are so endless I tend to get lost and discouraged… I see you are from France, I’m from Québec so I suppose we could easily communicate in french… je me trompe? :slight_smile:

We could talk in french. But this is not how such forums work :slight_smile:

If you want to do computer graphics, then I advice you to read some books and tutorials. Here are the common links:

https://www.amazon.com/Real-Time-Rendering-Third-Tomas-Akenine-Moller/dp/1568814240/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501047784&sr=8-1&keywords=realtime+rendering
https://www.amazon.com/Computer-Graphics-Principles-Practice-3rd/dp/0321399528/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501047778&sr=8-1&keywords=computer+graphics

These are expensive, but at least for the second one, an older edition will give you almost as much as the latest one.

Here is a french tutorial for OpenGL:

And here is the most common one:

In this topic, the last post is briefly talking about OpenFrameworks.