WGL, Core Context and RenderDoc?

Hi Folks:

RenderDoc caught my attention while browsing OpenGL topics.

RenderDoc might be useless to someone with my low skill level, but I want to take a quick look at it.

When RenderDoc launches one of the working tutorial exercises it displays “0 Captures saved”.

The next line says “Warning: Non-core context in use. Compatibility profile not supported”.

This seems to be an issue when working with older, pre-3.3, OpenGL. I have no interest in older versions of OpenGL.

I removed of WGL_CONTEXT_FORWARD_COMPATIBLE_BIT_ARB in the context attributes and added WGL_CONTEXT_CORE_PROFILE_BIT_ARB.

Of course, I have a very limited understanding of the context attributes. The OpenGL setup code was lifted from this tutorial, and has been serving me well.

RenderDoc is still displaying the warning, and not capturing.

What else do I need in order to be running a modern OpenGL core that RenderDoc can work with?

Thanks
  Larry

Yes, regarding what I quickly found in their main page, you need at least an OpenGL 3.2 core profile.
You could also read their documentation, and specially this stuff.

Thanks Silence:

Since I’ve only been developing code for OpenGL 3.3 and later I assumed I must have had everything configured for modern OpenGL. I was surprised when this failed, and I found out some obscure attribute still needed to be set.

I think I’m on the right track now.

I’d set WGL_CONTEXT_CORE_PROFILE_BIT_ARB in the context attributes, but that doesn’t mean much, apparently, unless it follows WGL_CONTEXT_PROFILE_MASK_ARB.

That’s done. But who knows what weird things still need to be dealt with?

RenderDoc seems to be capturing stuff now. I’ll see if it’s something I can use.

I’m always interested in any debuggers.

I first heard about the tool here, which was linked by Khronos’ home page here.

Anybody try it?

As always, I appreciate your response.

Larry