Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to update OpenGL

Junior Member Newbie

How to update OpenGL

I have a question: How do I upgrade to OpenGL?
    I need to run Android emulator. When I update the video driver does it update together?

Senior Member OpenGL Pro
    OpenGL isn't software so it cannot be upgraded as though it were. Yes, it's provided by your video card driver, but be aware that the highest OpenGL version you can have is the highest supported by your video card. If you need higher, you need a new video card.

Junior Member Newbie
    But for example, my board allows opengl up to 3.0 and mine is in a version of 2.1.1.
    How do I use 3.0?

Senior Member OpenGL Guru Dark Photon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cezar783 View Post
    How do I upgrade to OpenGL?
    I need to run Android emulator. When I update the video driver does it update together?
    Just to be clear, what are you trying to accomplish (and why)?

Do you want to upgrade the OpenGL implementation on the PC you're going to run the Android Emulator on (to one that supports OpenGL 3.0)?

Or do you want to upgrade the "OpenGL ES" implementation that runs inside your emulator (to one that supports OpenGL ES 3.0)?

(I say "OpenGL ES" in the latter rather than OpenGL because it is more commonly used on the embedded platforms supporting Android.)
    Last edited by Dark Photon; 12-10-2016 at 08:36 PM.

Junior Member Newbie
    I know how to update the video driver. But I'm kind of confused about opengl. Is it possible to use a higher version than the one I am using now? If I upgrade the video driver to the latest version will I be using a higher-level opengl version so far for the board?

I know how to update the video driver. But I'm kind of confused about opengl. Is it possible to use a higher version than the one I am using now? If I upgrade the video driver to the latest version will I be using a higher-level opengl version so far for the board?
    Ok, the way it typically works is when you update your video driver that updates the OpenGL implementation that it provides. Your video driver will support up to OpenGL version X (for some X) on at least some of the newer GPUs.

If your GPU is fairly recent and supports OpenGL version X, then your driver should provide up to OpenGL version X capability to your OpenGL application on that GPU. However, if your GPU is older and doesn't support OpenGL version X, then your driver will provide up to OpenGL version Y capability (for some Y < X) to your application.

So version Y is the maximum version you can support on that specific driver and GPU. Your app can then create a GL context for that version or any version <= Y.

Before you play musical drivers though, you can see what the latest version of OpenGL that your GPU supports by looking it up on the GPU vendor's web site, or looking it up on the OpenGL Capabilities Database and looking at the GL_VERSION the driver reported. If you're unsure how to do that, post your GPU make/model and we'll try to help you out.
    Last edited by Dark Photon; 12-11-2016 at 02:22 PM.

Junior Member Newbie
    With this, is the video driver responsible for providing the ideal version of opengl for gpu? Is that what you meant? The translation did not allow me to understand well.

Are the items marked in red the ones that do not work well?
    Last edited by cezar783; 12-11-2016 at 06:37 PM.

With this, is the video driver responsible for providing the ideal version of opengl for gpu?
    Yes.

Are the items marked in red the ones that do not work well?
    I'm not sure which web page you're seeing red on, and you didn't say which GPU you have. But to take an example:

* GeForce GTX 760 (OpenGL Capabilities Database)

Here you can see a lot of red and green (is this the red you're talking about?). Green means the extension "is supported" on that driver. Red means the extension is "not supported" on that driver. If you'll step back and look at the reports on this page (specifically the OSs listed in the top line and the GL_VERSION line), you can see that on Linux and Windows, this GPU supports OpenGL 4.3-4.5 depending on which version of the driver is installed. But on Mac (OS X) drivers, it appears users are limited to OpenGL 2.1.
    Last edited by Dark Photon; 12-12-2016 at 04:09 PM.

Junior Member Newbie
    But if I want to download some extension that the operating system meets, but that is not the one offered by the driver, I can use? Or should I keep the version that the driver makes available?

Note: The link you indicated is broken, but I was able to view

Advanced Member Frequent Contributor arekkusu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Photon View Post
    But on Mac (OS X) drivers, it appears users are limited to OpenGL 2.1.
    4.1 actually, if the app figures out how to request core profile.