instancing with geometry shader

I reformulates a question.
hello , i have a lot of 2d shapes of 4 point , are always parallelograms
With the extrusion they have 8 points and my idea is to do the extrusion on the cpu, save all vertexes of extrusion in a texture and do a instancing drawing and in in the geometry shader I wish take the points from the texture so i can do a batch draw of many many 1 point and in the geometry shader read the points from the texture and emit the vertexes.
I try to do this because any my geometry is similar and i have a lot of meshes.
Another approach is do an instance with a scale matrix (that is a 3d vector) then do only a transformation on all points but i can’t create a scale matrix from a base rectangle and a parallelogram that aren’t similar but for rectangular shapes of different sides I think that this can be done.
Naturally i have a texture with the scale matrix or extruded vertexes and an instance id for take the vertex or the matrix from the texture wit a sampler.
Thanks

Naturally the problem is the size of texture but with vulkan can upload more memory?

What was your question? I didn’t see a question mark.

Also, I have a few questions.

What are your goal(s) here?
What are your constraint(s)?
Exactly how many extruded parallelograms (parallelipipeds) are we talking about here?
Is the shape data static or dynamic?
What kind of lighting/shading do you want to do on each shape?
What is the vertex format of each vertex (e.g. vec3 positions, vec3 colors)?

Naturally the problem is the size of texture but with vulkan can upload more memory?

I don’t understand this at all. In OpenGL you can create massive textures that can consume virtually all of your GPU memory. Though it’s unclear at this point whether this is a reasonable approach to your problem.

This sounds related to this.

[QUOTE=Dark Photon;1285085]What was your question? I didn’t see a question mark.

Also, I have a few questions.

What are your constraint(s)?
Exactly how many extruded parallelograms (parallelipipeds) are we talking about here?

I don’t understand this at all. In OpenGL you can create massive textures that can consume virtually all of your GPU memory. Though it’s unclear at this point whether this is a reasonable approach to your problem.[/QUOTE]

My goal is to limitate the drawing call

from 100000 to 300000

The shape data are only static

a simple directional light without shadow

only vec3 position and vec3 normal.

I try to limitate drawing call and also i need a secondary texture for states , selected/unselected color and only few other state var

My questions are:
1)i can draw all of my meshes with a huge buffer in only one drawing call?
2)i’m also thinking to do instancing render because I have an instancing id that can bind to the secondary texture with states.Is a possible solution?
3)if i use huge buffer how i can bind the shapes to the secondary states texture?

sorry dark photon and sorry for my english.
by

[QUOTE=giuseppe500;1285093]What are your goal(s) here?
My goal is to [limit] the drawing call[/QUOTE]

Ok. We’ll go based on that.

(Side-question: is your goal really to minimize draw calls, or to minimize frame time?)

My questions are:
1)i can draw all of my meshes with a huge buffer in only one drawing call?

Probably. Doing some back-of-the-napkin estimates, it looks like it’d take ~206 MB of VBO memory for vertex and index lists, worst case (estimate details below).

You can reduce this worst-case estimate quite a bit just by applying some simple tricks (e.g. don’t explicitly store normals, use smaller vertex format than vec3, etc.), and even that is assuming a simple rendering approach without GPU instancing and without a geometry shader. Though more complex, applying geometry instancing could save you a great deal more memory and bandwidth.

As first cut, you might just try the simple non-instanced approach because it’s easy, and then extend to instancing as needed. If you’re a more advanced OpenGL user, feel free to skip directly to using geometry instancing (without a geometry shader).

2)i’m also thinking to do instancing render because I have an instancing id that can bind to the secondary texture with states.Is a possible solution?

A geometry instanced solution definitely seems practical here. Though I’m unclear what you mean by states.

If it’s something with per-instance data you want to pull into the shaders (based on the instance ID) or push into the shaders (via instanced arrays), then sure.

3)if i use huge buffer how i can bind the shapes to the secondary states texture?

I’d suggest pushing your vertex and index data into the shaders via buffer objects rather than pulling them into the shaders via textures.

If/when you apply geometry instancing, I’d still recommend this for the basic instance definition (e.g. parallelipiped). For your per-instance data, you have a choice on how to feed that in: 1) Push it in the same way using Instanced Arrays, or 2) pull it in via texture lookups based on gl_InstanceID.

WORST CASE VERTEX SIZE:
-----------------------

12   tris/obj
         24   verts/obj  (4*6)
  *      24   bytes/vert (2*3*4)
  ---------
        576   bytes vertex data/obj (24*24)
  * 300,000   objects/dataset
  ---------
172,800,000   bytes vertex data/dataset

WORST CASE INDEX SIZE:
----------------------

12   tris/obj
 *        3   indices/tri
  ---------
         36   indices/obj
  * 300,000   objects/dataset
  ---------
 10,800,000   indices/dataset
  *       4   bytes/index
  ---------
 43,200,000   bytes index data/dataset

WORST CASE VERTEX+INDEX SIZE
----------------------------
172,800,000   bytes vertex data/dataset
 43,200,000   bytes index data/dataset
-----------
216,000,000   bytes/dataset

~= 206 MB

thanks Dark Phothon.
Very thanks.
Now i start and use the normal drawing for do practicing with vulkan subsequently if i have a low frame rate i try with geometry instancing i saw many examples on nvidia site.
1)for state in the second texture i mean visible/invisible , color ecc…, but my problem is no this, my problem is that the parallelograms in my casistic are not equals or are not all equals.
My idea was to send via texture and instancing id a scale matrix for each rectangle for changing it from rectangle to parallelogram like attached image .
But i’m very poor on math and don’t know how generate this scale matrix .
Then if i be able to generate this matrix the vertex shader fetch the matrix from the texture and multiply it to each vertex in the rectangle.
So i use only 3 vec3 (the diagonal of matrix for each shape).
If i do the same but with all vertex i have a redundancy and the adjusting offsets increase to 8 vec3.
but these may be speculations for now.
I ask only :you what you does in the same situation?
Now i start to write code i’m not a professional programmer on vulkan then start with the easy approach and write code.
If you have time i’m very interessed in geometry instancing with scale matrix or offset.
very thanks for now.
Giuseppe.
Image of different parallelograms

My two cents are, do that in OpenGL instead of Vulkan. The API is still in development, it is subject to a lot of changes, and programming on vulkan is, to my opinion, less easy that programming on OpenGL. Plus, you can do instancing with OpenGL too.

The main issue with scaling is about lighting. You’ll generally have to recalculate all the normals. If you have an homothety, then it will just be a matter of scaling all the normals with the same factor since you will keep angles between edges.

i’d try to use instanced rendering, but without the geometry shader

how can you describe a parallelogram?
– vec3 position attribute
– mat4 matrix to describe global position / rotation / scale / camera

if you’d use simple “ambient” lighting, you wouldn’t need a normal (and you can avoid deferred shading)

300.000 x (sizeof(mat4) + 24 * sizeof(vec4)) ~= 134 Mbyte (array buffer)
–> so memory shouldnt be a big problem

before you render anything, sort the different shapes, you should end up with:
std::vector<Vertex> shape1;
std::vector<Vertex> shape2;
std::vector<Vertex> shape3;

std::vector<mat4> allshapes1;
std::vector<mat4> allshapes2;
std::vector<mat4> allshapes3;

to render all shape1 parallelograms:
–> put shape1 into the vertex buffer
–> put allshapes1 into the instance buffer
–> glDrawArraysInstanced(GL_QUADS, 0, 24, allshapes1.size());

that way you reduce the number of function calls to the number of different shapes you have
try it with a lower number of instances first (like 10.000), check if it acomplishes the task in acceptable time

why trying to do it with vulkan ?
you’d have to learn + understand a completely new API that is more complicated than OpenGL
if you cant do it with OpenGL in proper time, it is likely that vulkan cant do it either in proper time

[QUOTE=Silence;1285109]My two cents are, do that in OpenGL instead of Vulkan. The API is still in development, it is subject to a lot of changes, and programming on vulkan is, to my opinion, less easy that programming on OpenGL. Plus, you can do instancing with OpenGL too.

The main issue with scaling is about lighting. You’ll generally have to recalculate all the normals. If you have an homothety, then it will just be a matter of scaling all the normals with the same factor since you will keep angles between edges.[/QUOTE]
my idea is to find a scale matrix and do an extrude on the cpu then i can calculate the normals for one time always on the cpu all is static and no more recalculate the normal, is wrong?
But my problem is to create this scale matrix.
the scale matrix is always the same nothing change.
I have only an orbit camera that Interact with the model all the meshes are static ,there is no animation.
What do you mean that i don’rt understand?
thanks.

john_connor : no the shape are all different i cant group by family of shape , thanks.

A scale matrix is like this:

x 0 0 0
0 y 0 0
0 0 z 0
0 0 0 1

where x,y,z are the scale factors for each of the dimensions. If x==y==z then you’ll generally have to rescale the normals down by 1/x (if they have been multiplied by the final modelview matrix which includes the scale). If x,y and z are not the same, angles on each models will not be kept, so you’ll have to compute the normals again.

If you don’t do any lighting, which it seems is your case after a second read of your first post then you don’t have to take care about this.
Which now leads me to this:

To know the x factor of your scale matrix, just divide your new polygon width in x by your original one. Do the same for the other dimension(s).

But definitely, if nothing changes (all the shapes remain the same), then just store all of the shapes in a VBO. And call to the appropriate ones using indexes. You’ll just need some MBytes to do so, which is completely affordable on a graphic card since 15 years or even more now.

very very thanks silence i understand.
But i must place two uniform vars for mesh like color and visible/invisible i must use uniform or places it in another vbo?
There is an index also in a simple draw inside the shader(i choose opengl and not vulkan thanks boys)? how i set a color or visible / invisible in a mesh and not in other if are all in the buffer?
Is for that that my idea was to using the istancing because i have a instance id and i can look up the correct color or visible/invisible, this was my error.
the color remain the same for ever but the visible/invisible of a mesh can change every time.

Whatever will work for you.

Another form of per-instance shape data to consider is just storing the position of one corner (vec3) and 3 vectors spanning the edges adjacent to that corner. With that you can easily construct your parallelipiped in the shader by sending a 3D box down the pipe and rendering it with instancing. You don’t really even need the vertex positions for this 3D box. Just the connections (index list) and gl_VertexID to know which vertex your constructing in the vertex shader.

Total amount of instance data for this = 4 vec3s (48 bytes) * 300,000 = ~14.4MB. Add your “is visible” and maybe a per-instance color value to that and you’ve got all the per-instance data.

Thanks to all, you really were very kind