AMD new drivers not working

Hi!

The date of my current AMD driver is 05/december/2011. (With the support of opengl 4.2, but, imageStore doesn’t work even if GLview tells me that all opengl 4.2 extensions are supported.)

The new driver version (the one from july 2015) is not working, it give me a dark screen. (On windows and on linux)

My graphic card is an ATI mobility radeon HD 5470.

I’m just wondering if imageLoadStore is supported by this card or not.

PS : on their website there is written that the driver is compatible with my graphic card :

http://support.amd.com/fr-fr/download/mobile?os=Windows+7±+32

The one thing that does raise consideration is that as far as OpenGL (which iD use) is concerned, Nvida have a pretty good track record of developing solid fully featured OpenGL drivers while AMD have been less enthusiastic with getting OpenGL running as well on their cards.

Maybe AMD were not motivated to work on their fully compliant OpenGL 3.3, 4.1 or 4.2 drivers for quite a while. RAGE comes alone and demands such and AMD got caught out.

In regards to Windows, only:

AMD have always been more strict in their interpretation of the GL spec.
Code that wasn’t written by the spec may just as well render fine when a new feature is implemented, but future updates will make sure that only spec-compliant code still works. I’ve had a lot of grief developing on Nvidia hardware, mainly because most things just work if they are close enough (e.g. texture offsets need ivec2? vec2 works just as well on Nvidia but not AMD). My main development machine uses AMD and the code works fine with all 3 major vendors.

That said, imageLodStore has been working fine since the beginning of 2015: http://www.g-truc.net/doc/OpenGL%20Drivers%20Status%202015-03.pdf
Check the code, check the spec, use a graphics debugging application (CodeXL and Perfstudio are really good).

P.S.: The things iD did with idTech 5 went way beyond “good GL practice”. I image all driver programmers “enjoyed” supporting that game. At least something good came out of all that effort: sparse textures.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.