OpenGL ICD Not Loading in Windows 7

Hi all,

I have a very old computer I’m trying to get up and running for a LAN party. I believe it’s based on 2002 hardware: 2 GHz Pentium 4, Intel Extreme Graphics (not 2), 2 GB of DDR-266, etc. I grabbed the newest Windows XP driver (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/9033/Intel-Graphics-Media-Accelerator-Driver-for-Windows-XP-exe-) and it installed correctly as far as I can tell, but the OpenGL ICD hasn’t loaded and Windows 7 is using its built-in and slower-than-molasses GDI renderer. This isn’t usable with any OpenGL game I’d want to play and only supports OGL 1.1 while my hardware supports OGL 1.3. Is there anything I can do to make Windows 7 load the correct ICD? I can see a 2.18 MB file named ialmgicd.dll in the system32 folder, which I assume is the ICD, but how do I use it? If anyone can help me out I’d be very appreciative.

You’re trying to use a Windows XP driver on Windows 7? Don’t expect that to work.

Install the latest Windows 7 driver for Intel. If you’re not happy with the results, get a decent discrete nVidia or AMD GPU and install their latest Windows 7 OpenGL drivers.

I’ve had plenty of success installing XP drivers in Windows 7, including ones for my Mobility Radeon 7500, a GeForce 4 MX card, and an Intel GMA 900 chip, all of which work without issue. I don’t see why these ones aren’t working. Might there be some registry entries that Intel’s driver installer failed to set up?

I’m seriously considering doing that, but not without consulting some other forums as well. I know this IGP can do OpenGL 1.3 just fine in Windows XP, and I’d like to avoid spending money on a new card for Windows 7 if possible.
Thank you both for your replies :slight_smile:

I’ve decided to just dual-boot between Windows XP and 7. Thank you both again for the replies.

Please don’t mind but you’re talking about a computer which is using p4 technology so please don’t even think about dual boot, just try to only go for windows 7’s latest drivers. If you go for dual boot, Your computer will become one of the most slowest computer of the world. I had that experience.