Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Thread: Weird torsion/twisting on my gluSphere

Junior Member Newbie

Weird torsion/twisting on my gluSphere

Hi all. This is probably a really noobish question, but I haven't been able to generate a useful search phrase. I'm writing a simple solar system simulator and my gluSpheres have some sort of distortion. Here's what it looks like with and without textures:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	withouttextures.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	4.5 KB 
ID:	1821Click image for larger version. 

Name:	withtextures.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	6.0 KB 
ID:	1822

You probably can't tell from the screenshot, but South America is showing up at the same longitude as Saudi Arabia. If your geography isn't so good, it's like somebody gave the whole planet an indian sunburn around the equator. Any suggestions about what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance.

John

Member Regular Contributor
    ... it's like somebody gave the whole planet an indian sunburn around the equator.
    Even without the texture turned on, your sphere is messed up. Looks like depth testing and/or gl_cull_face haven't been enabled or set up properly.

Junior Member Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Carmine View Post
    Even without the texture turned on, your sphere is messed up. Looks like depth testing and/or gl_cull_face haven't been enabled or set up properly.
    I didn't know face culling had to be activated, but I read up on it and fixed the issue. Thank you so much!