Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Thread: glNamedBufferData fires GL_INVALID_OPERATION

Intern Contributor

glNamedBufferData fires GL_INVALID_OPERATION

I get an exception at the very begin of my sample, when I try to allocate geometry for the gound, here and here:

at this point

Code :
       gl4.glNamedBufferData(vertexBuffer[0], Vertex.size() * vertices.size(), floatBuffer, GL4.GL_STATIC_DRAW);

Exception:

Code :
    Caused by: com.jogamp.opengl.GLException: GL-Error 0x502 while creating mutable storage for buffer 1 of size 512 with data java.nio.DirectFloatBufferU[pos=0 lim=128 cap=128]

I have the object Vertex that takes 128 floats, I have 4 vertices, this means 512 Byte

Everything seems right

Anyway, error 0x502 is GL_INVALID_OPERATION and glNamedBufferData fires that only if:

- GL_INVALID_OPERATION is generated by glNamedBufferData if buffer is not the name of an existing buffer object.

- GL_INVALID_OPERATION is generated if the GL_BUFFER_IMMUTABLE_STORAGE flag of the buffer object is GL_TRUE.

Since buffer exist (!= 0, 1), it must be the second one

But I cant query any GL_BUFFER_IMMUTABLE_STORAGE flag, since glGetBufferParameter requires a target which I didnt provide because of glNamedBufferData,
    and looking here, if mutableUsage was false, I would have catched the internal error, which I didnt, so..

Any idea?

Ps:
    Code :
    gl4.glBindBuffer(GL4.GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, vertexBuffer[0]);
    gl4.glBufferData(GL4.GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, Vertex.size() * vertices.size(), floatBuffer, GL4.GL_STATIC_DRAW);
    gl4.glBindBuffer(GL4.GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, 0);

it works like a charm and I am sure I have 4.5 and DSA

gl4.glGetString(GL4.GL_VERSION) 4.5.0 NVIDIA 347.88
    gl4.isExtensionAvailable("GL_ARB_direct_state_acce ss" true
    Last edited by elect; 04-20-2015 at 03:46 AM.

Senior Member OpenGL Pro
    Are you creating the buffer using glGenBuffers or glCreateBuffers? Note that in the former case (i.e with glGenBuffers) the buffer object does not exist; all that glGenBuffers gives you is a name, but it doesn't create an object.

Intern Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by mhagain View Post
    Are you creating the buffer using glGenBuffers or glCreateBuffers? Note that in the former case (i.e with glGenBuffers) the buffer object does not exist; all that glGenBuffers gives you is a name, but it doesn't create an object.
    glGenBuffers

Ok, but then why it works on C? Directly from the Nvidia github https://github.com/NVIDIAGameWorks/O...esh.cpp#L55-77

Is the driver directly fixing it on the fly?

Anyway, it seems if you bind the buffer before it doesnt complain

Code :
    gl4.glNamedBufferData(vertexBuffer[0], Vertex.size() * vertices.size(),
                GLBuffers.newDirectFloatBuffer(verticesFA), GL4.GL_STATIC_DRAW);

// *** INTERESTING ***
        // get the GPU pointer for the vertex buffer and make the vertex buffer
        // resident on the GPU
        gl4.glGetBufferParameterui64vNV(GL4.GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, GL4.GL_BUFFER_GPU_ADDRESS_NV,
                vertexBufferGPUPtr, 0);
        gl4.glGetBufferParameteriv(GL4.GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, GL4.GL_BUFFER_SIZE,
                vertexBufferSize, 0);
        gl4.glMakeBufferResidentNV(GL4.GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, GL4.GL_READ_ONLY);

To:

Code :
    // *** INTERESTING ***
        // get the GPU pointer for the vertex buffer and make the vertex buffer
        // resident on the GPU
        gl4.glNamedBufferData(vertexBuffer[0], Vertex.size() * vertices.size(),
                GLBuffers.newDirectFloatBuffer(verticesArray), GL4.GL_STATIC_DRAW);
        gl4.glGetBufferParameterui64vNV(GL4.GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, GL4.GL_BUFFER_GPU_ADDRESS_NV,
                vertexBufferGPUPtr, 0);
        gl4.glGetBufferParameteriv(GL4.GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, GL4.GL_BUFFER_SIZE,
                vertexBufferSize, 0);
        gl4.glMakeBufferResidentNV(GL4.GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, GL4.GL_READ_ONLY);

Intern Contributor
    If I switch Gen to Create it works outside the bindings... this anyway doesnt explain why it works with the Nvidia C code

Senior Member OpenGL Pro
    Code :
    // Stick the data for the vertices and indices in their respective buffers
    glNamedBufferDataEXT(m_vertexBuffer, sizeof(vertices[0]) * vertices.size(), &vertices[0], GL_STATIC_DRAW);
    glNamedBufferDataEXT(m_indexBuffer, sizeof(indices[0]) * indices.size(), &indices[0], GL_STATIC_DRAW);
    The NVIDIA code isn't using GL 4.5 DSA but rather the old GL_EXT_direct_state_access extension. These are not the same thing. When DSA was brought into core GL it wasn't just a renamed version of the old extension, and the old extension didn't have this requirement.

Intern Contributor
    Code :
    // Stick the data for the vertices and indices in their respective buffers
    glNamedBufferDataEXT(m_vertexBuffer, sizeof(vertices[0]) * vertices.size(), &vertices[0], GL_STATIC_DRAW);
    glNamedBufferDataEXT(m_indexBuffer, sizeof(indices[0]) * indices.size(), &indices[0], GL_STATIC_DRAW);
    The NVIDIA code isn't using GL 4.5 DSA but rather the old GL_EXT_direct_state_access extension. These are not the same thing. When DSA was brought into core GL it wasn't just a renamed version of the old extension, and the old extension didn't have this requirement.
    Ah, thanks for the clarification, then I will always use glCreateBuffer together with glNamedBufferData