Store a 2D texture to file

I am working on a project where i am working on the parameterization of a mesh as a 2D array. Anyway, at this point i had to switch to OpenGL and as i am new to it i would like to ask how i can save textures created as an image (*.bmp, *.jpg e.t.c.).

unsigned int uiTex[2];
        int iNRes=1024;
        int res =1024;
        glGenTextures(2, uiTex);
	glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, uiTex[0]);
	glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_NEAREST);
	glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_NEAREST);
	glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGBA32F, res, res, 0, GL_RGBA, GL_FLOAT, NULL);
	glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, uiTex[1]);
	glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);
	glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGB, iNRes, iNRes, 0, GL_RGB, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, NULL);

......(here is the part where the image is created)

An example of saving the created texture to a bmp file would help me a lot!

glGetTexImage will get you the texture data which you can then save out; I suggest using TGA instead of BMP or JPG because the returned pointer from glGetTexImage can be written immediately after the TGA header without any further processing.

Thanks for the quick reply. Having the pointer from the function glGetTexImage, how can i save the image in the format you mentioned?

unsigned int uiTex[2];
        int iNRes=1024;
        int res =1024;
        glGenTextures(2, uiTex);
	glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, uiTex[0]);
	glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_NEAREST);
	glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_NEAREST);
	glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGBA32F, res, res, 0, GL_RGBA, GL_FLOAT, NULL);
	glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, uiTex[1]);
	glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);
	glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGB, iNRes, iNRes, 0, GL_RGB, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, NULL);

......(here is the part where the image is created)

glGetTexImage(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGB, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, gim);

You read the TGA file specification and write bytes that conform to it.

Unless you expect us to write your code for you, you’re going to have to ask a more specific question than that. Personally, I’d just use an image library that has saving capabilities. But the TGA format isn’t difficult to write.

[QUOTE=ionas_;1264568]

An example of saving the created texture to a bmp file would help me a lot![/QUOTE]

Most image formats can’t handle GL_RGBA32F (BMP certainly can’t). TIFF probably can (it tries to support everything), but I doubt that much software which “supports TIFF” can handle it.

Most formats are limited to 8 bits per component; a few support 16 bits per component. For 32-bit floats, you might be better off using a generalised container format such as HDF.

Thanks a lot i… An image format that deals with floating points is what i need! (e.g ppm). i’ll check *.hdf