Do not resize the DrawArea

Hello there,

this is probably a stupid question, simple math, or something else, i am not sure.

What i have is a window with a small 3D scene (thats just 2 models rendered) in opengl. It starts as a window in 1024x768, thats cool. Then i resize the window (maximize it), and my handler does on resizing the following:

void onResize(GLFWwindow* window, int width, int height){
	//This is my projection-matrix which gets multiplicated with the model and viewmatrix, the usual stuff.
	Projection = glm::perspective(45.0f, (float)width/(float)height, 0.1f, 100.0f);
	glViewport(0, 0, width, height);
}

and it works great. Nothing stretched, everything in the correct resolution. But: It just draws everything bigger. So if i would resize my window from, lets say, 500x500 to 1000x1000 it would just draw it twice as big (in both dimensions), but what i would like to have is, that it does not draws it bigger, but just draws “more” of the scene around. You understand what i mean? So if you look through a hole in a piece of paper, and then just remove the paper, you don’t see the exact same things bigger, but you see actually more around you.
What i actually tried is, remove one of the both lines in the onResize function, but this does more harm then help.

My guess is, that its just a matrix i have to set up correctly or a gl-call i have to do but i’m clueless since the glm::perspective does not take any size-arguments (just the aspect,ratio) and glViewport seems to just set up the screen-area i can draw in but has nothing to do with the actual drawing.

IOW, you want a larger view angle.

It takes an aspect ratio and a view angle.

[QUOTE=tkausl;1264543]
and glViewport seems to just set up the screen-area i can draw in but has nothing to do with the actual drawing.[/QUOTE]
glViewport() sets the portion of the window which is mapped to X and Y coordinates of the clip space. Enlarging the viewport while keeping all other factors (e.g. the projection matrix) constant will enlarge the rendered image).

If you want a larger window to result in a larger view angle, you could just calculate the appropriate view angle and aspect ratio based upon the window dimensions, but it’s probably easier to use glm::frustum() instead. glm::perspective() is effectively just a convenience wrapper; any glm::perspective() call can be translated to an equivalent glm::frustum() call, i.e.

double rf = tan(fovy/2);
double dy = zNear * rf;
double dx = aspect * dy;
return glm::frustum(-dx,dx,-dy,dy,zNear,zFar);

So rather than calculating dx and dy based upon fovy and aspect, you can just calculate them as e.g.

double dy = zNear * window_width / size;
double dx = zNear * window_height / size;

where [var]size[/var] is the window size corresponding to a 90° view angle (±45°).

[QUOTE=GClements;1264557]

double rf = tan(fovy/2);
double dy = zNear * rf;
double dx = aspect * dy;

So rather than calculating dx and dy based upon fovy and aspect, you can just calculate them as e.g.

double dy = zNear * window_width / size;
double dx = zNear * window_height / size;

where [var]size[/var] is the window size corresponding to a 90° view angle (±45°).[/QUOTE]
Can you clarify that the fovy means field of view on Y axis/plane and not the usually implied X axis/plane which is usually the case.

Yes. fovy is the angle between the top and bottom edges of the view frustum (the angle between either edge and the centre is fovy/2).