Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Official feedback on OpenGL 4.5 thread

Newbie Newbie

Missing word on man page

https://www.opengl.org/sdk/docs/man/...Separate.xhtml states that the parameter "srcRGB" "Specifies how the red, green, and blue blending factors are computed.". However, I do think the correct wording should be "Specifies how the red, green, and blue source blending factors are computed."

Administrator Regular Contributor Khronos_webmaster's Avatar
    Please post all bugs in our bug tracker: https://www.khronos.org/bugzilla/
    Webmaster Khronos.org and OpenGL.org

Newbie Newbie
    Hi I'm new to the forum but have been coding for over thirty years, started on basics and moving through MSDOS and VGA etc then onto windows.

I have a couple of questions:

1) With the 'new name' thread will 4.5 be the last version of OpenGL?

2) I currently code using C++ and I'm wading through OpenGL 1.X which I understand is deprecated, will support for the earlier OpenGL APIs ever be dropped in OpenGL?

Member Regular Contributor malexander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EdzUp01 View Post
    2) I currently code using C++ and I'm wading through OpenGL 1.X which I understand is deprecated, will support for the earlier OpenGL APIs ever be dropped in OpenGL?
    The Core profile of OpenGL drops support for all the deprecated 1.x and 2.x features. Some vendors support the Compatibility profile, which allows you to use the deprecated features. If you don't want any of the deprecated features, you need to request a core profile using glX or wgl CreateContextAttribs(), using CONTEXT_PROFILE_MASK_ARB set to CONTEXT_CORE_PROFILE_BIT_ARB.

Newbie Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by malexander View Post
    The Core profile of OpenGL drops support for all the deprecated 1.x and 2.x features. Some vendors support the Compatibility profile, which allows you to use the deprecated features. If you don't want any of the deprecated features, you need to request a core profile using glX or wgl CreateContextAttribs(), using CONTEXT_PROFILE_MASK_ARB set to CONTEXT_CORE_PROFILE_BIT_ARB.
    So basically we also got to move to OpenGL 4+?

My laptop only supports 2.1 at present.

Senior Member OpenGL Lord
    Quote Originally Posted by EdzUp01 View Post
    So basically we also got to move to OpenGL 4+?

My laptop only supports 2.1 at present.
    Then use that. Nobody's forcing you to use OpenGL 4.x, nor is anyone forcing you to use the core profile.

Remember: OpenGL is just a document, a specification. It's not a library. Your implementation is a library. Whether it is being supported is up to whomever it is that writes your implementation.

Newbie Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfonse Reinheart View Post
    Then use that. Nobody's forcing you to use OpenGL 4.x, nor is anyone forcing you to use the core profile.

Remember: OpenGL is just a document, a specification. It's not a library. Your implementation is a library. Whether it is being supported is up to whomever it is that writes your implementation.
    Ah OK it's the 'its deprecated by some vendors' section sort of rings that some graphics drivers may have trouble running the software written in old gl versions. If it works fine and won't be killed off in the future all the better