Request for Advise - Smoothing Line Edges and Otherwise improving Quality ...

Hello,

So I finally got my project on the Oculus Rift! It was a good feeling but now it’s a matter of drastically improving display quality.

One of the most striking things I have noticed is that line edges are not really smooth at all. Below is a picture.

How can I have crisp (or crisper) edges?

Thank you for your time.

There are a huge number of techniques to reduce/remove these kinds of artefacts, they fall under the heading of “anti aliasing”. It is my impression that lately techniques that work as a post processing filter have become quite popular, examples for this class of approaches are: Morphological Anti Aliasing (MLAA) and FXAA. More classic techniques are Super-Sampling and Multi-Sampling (which itself comes in a dizzying number of variations).

Thank you for your quick reply.

Is there a quick way to do anti-aliasing on a texture attached to a framebuffer?

I have the following texture/framebuffer setup which my application renders to for the Oculus Rift.

glGenFramebuffers(1, &g_OculusRiftFrameBufferObject_ID);
	glBindFramebuffer(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, g_OculusRiftFrameBufferObject_ID);
	glGenTextures(1, &g_OculusRiftTexture_ID);
	glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, g_OculusRiftTexture_ID);
	glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGBA, l_TextureSize.w, l_TextureSize.h, 0, GL_RGBA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, 0);
	glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR);
	glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);
	glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE);
	glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE);
	glGenRenderbuffers(1, &g_OculusRiftDepthBufferObject_ID);
	glBindRenderbuffer(GL_RENDERBUFFER, g_OculusRiftDepthBufferObject_ID);
	glRenderbufferStorage(GL_RENDERBUFFER, GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT, l_TextureSize.w, l_TextureSize.h);
	glFramebufferRenderbuffer(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, GL_DEPTH_ATTACHMENT, GL_RENDERBUFFER, g_OculusRiftDepthBufferObject_ID);
	glFramebufferTexture2D(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0, GL_TEXTURE_2D, g_OculusRiftTexture_ID, 0);

GLenum l_GLDrawBuffers[1] = { GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0 };
	glDrawBuffers(1, l_GLDrawBuffers); // "1" is the size of DrawBuffers

g_DrawBufferStatusCheck_ENUM = glCheckFramebufferStatus(GL_DRAW_FRAMEBUFFER);

if (g_DrawBufferStatusCheck_ENUM != GL_FRAMEBUFFER_COMPLETE)
	{
		glBindRenderbuffer(GL_RENDERBUFFER, 0);
		glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0);
		glBindFramebuffer(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, 0);
		return false;
	}
	else
	{
}

I suppose adding multi sampling would be fairly straightforward (assuming you are not on ancient/obscure hardware). See glTexImage2DMultisample for how to create a multisample texture that you can attach to your FBO. You may also need a multisampled renderbuffer for the depth attachment.
Aha, there’s even a description on the wiki :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=carsten neumann;1259485]I suppose adding multi sampling would be fairly straightforward (assuming you are not on ancient/obscure hardware). See glTexImage2DMultisample for how to create a multisample texture that you can attach to your FBO. You may also need a multisampled renderbuffer for the depth attachment.
Aha, there’s even a description on the wiki :)[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the information. I will give this a shot.

[QUOTE=carsten neumann;1259485]I suppose adding multi sampling would be fairly straightforward (assuming you are not on ancient/obscure hardware). See glTexImage2DMultisample for how to create a multisample texture that you can attach to your FBO. You may also need a multisampled renderbuffer for the depth attachment.
Aha, there’s even a description on the wiki :)[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for the help!

Success: