glPushDebugGroup() broken in AMD 13.12 WHQL drivers?

Reading http://www.opengl.org/registry/specs/KHR/debug.txt

It has this example:

// Setup of the default active debug group: Filter everything in
    glDebugMessageControl(GL_DONT_CARE, GL_DONT_CARE, GL_DONT_CARE, 0, NULL, GL_TRUE);

// Generate a debug marker debug output message
    glDebugMessageInsert(
        GL_DEBUG_SOURCE_APPLICATION, 
        GL_DEBUG_TYPE_MARKER, 100,
        GL_DEBUG_SEVERITY_NOTIFICATION, 
        -1, "Message 1");

// Push debug group 1
    glPushDebugGroup(
        GL_DEBUG_SOURCE_APPLICATION, 
        -1, "Message 2");

This results in a GL_INVALID_OPERATION when glPushDebugGroup() is called.

I do not see any new versions of openGL I can try, since 14.1 & 14.2 BETA drivers do not support Vista 64bit it seems. :sorrow:

Funny enough, looking at http://www.opengl.org/sdk/docs/man/docbook4/xhtml/glPushDebugGroup.xml
for errors, it lists:

Errors

[LEFT]GL_INVALID_ENUM is generated if the value of source is neither GL_DEBUG_SOURCE_APPLICATION nor GL_DEBUG_SOURCE_THIRD_PARTY.
GL_INVALID_VALUE is generated if length is negative and the number of characters in message, excluding the null-terminator, is not less than the value of GL_MAX_DEBUG_MESSAGE_LENGTH.
[/LEFT]

So, GL_INVALID_OPERATION isn’t even listed as a possible error, so, this looks like a driver bug.

Yeah, I am sure it is the glPushDebugGroup() call that causes that error, I added glGetError() calls between and before all calls.
This is on a 6870 card, using 13.12 WHQL drivers.

I will try to test this on a AMD machine but the code worked fine on nVidia driver 331.82

I ran into an AMD driver bug where -1 for the string length was being rejected as an invalid value, instead of indicating a NULL-terminated string. Passing strlen(msg) worked around the issue. Not sure if this is the same bug.

OpenGL Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL Renderer: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
OpenGL Version: 4.3.12798 Compatibility Profile Context 13.251.0.0

Still broken in the just released 14.3 v1 beta drivers. :sorrow:

malexander, no, that isn’t the issue here.

[QUOTE=glDan;1258460]Still broken in the just released 14.3 v1 beta drivers. :sorrow:[/QUOTE] Make that, the windows drivers of 14.3 v1 beta is broken. The linux 14.3 v1 beta work as expected.

OpenGL Version: 4.4.12874 Compatibility Profile Context 14.100.0.0 is still broken. :sorrow:
Those are 14.4 WHQL ones, released yesterday.

[QUOTE=glDan;1259131]OpenGL Version: 4.4.12874 Compatibility Profile Context 14.100.0.0 is still broken. :sorrow: Those are 14.4 WHQL ones, released yesterday.[/QUOTE] Finally fixed in the 14.6’s BETA drivers. OpenGL Version: 4.4.12967 Compatibility Profile Context 14.100.0.0

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.