Do I need an extended pixel format?

So, I’m writing my OpenGL application in Win32. I have some questions about extended pixel formats, however.

Now, my understanding is that you need to use wglChoosePixelFormatARB if you want multisampling or other newer features. However, I’m not using multisampling, and that got me wondering whether or not I need to use a fancy pixel format at all.

Some info:

-My application runs in the core profile, OpenGL 3.1+ only.
-I have no desire to use MultiSample Anti-Aliasing. I plan to anti-alias using screen-space shaders in post-processing (such as FXAA or SMAA).
-I’ve never used framebuffers before, but I do plan to use them for deferred shading and other effects.

So, the question is: In my project, do I need to use wglChoosePixelFormatARB, and play around with creating temporary windows? Or can I just use the old-fashioned ChoosePixelFormat and call it a day? If I avoid using wglChoosePixelFormatARB, what problems might arise in the future that I haven’t though of?

Thanks in advance!

No, you don’t need fancy pixel formats at all. The pixel formats are sorry remains from the pre-FBO times which for some weird reason the opengl standard authorities can’t be bothered to clean up.
When i choose pixel format my criterion is it to be the “lightest” possible, e.g. no depth buffers. etc. then i use FBOs to setup any depth/color/stencil buffers.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.