Best OpenGL book for me?

I read this tutorial: OpenGL Programming Guide : Table of Contents
about an year ago and then I realized it’s considered “depricated” (correct me if I’m wrong).

So now I have lots of free time so I want to read an up-to-date OpenGL book (that must include a GLSL guide too, correct me if I’m wrong again).
I know that there are many books out there and that some of them are out of date, so I came to ask you what’s the best book for me in my condition.

Thanks!

The wiki has a list of tutorials, both pre and post OpenGL 3.2 (which is where core profile was introduced and the “old” functionality removed from it). As far as books go the usual suspects that get mentioned here are the OpenGL Superbible and OpenGL Programming Guide (aka Red Book), AFAIK current editions of both focus on core profile OpenGL.

hey i am reading through the superbible and find it very hard to follow. the first example of tesselation is missing many components to make it work. it simply didnt tell you everything you needed for it to work. it may get better because im still near the beginning but my first impression isnt very good. the opengl programming guide is very thorough. i found it hard to understand at the beginning, but it becomes easier. i prefer the programming guide over the bible. also the opengl 4.0 shading language cookbook is very helpful. i bought all three so that i can make up for shortcomings in one book with another. :slight_smile:

the first example of tesselation is missing many components to make it work

its true that its missing things to work but they do go over it later in the book

I took some time to make the ‘right’ pick. And missed anyway.
My pc supported OpenGL 3.2, so I picked ‘The programming guide’ ver. 7 (targeting 3.1 & 3.2).
After an upgrade of the driver, OpenGL 3.3 was supported. Using the core profile there’s way too much of the programming guide that’s marked as deprecated and it’s hard to keep track of what exactly is deprecated as a newbie.
So, right now I’m waiting for the Bible version that targets ver. 3.3 … it could still have a lot of deprecated code though, but I don’t know.

[QUOTE=omfglol;1254991]I read this tutorial: OpenGL Programming Guide : Table of Contents
about an year ago and then I realized it’s considered “depricated” (correct me if I’m wrong).

So now I have lots of free time so I want to read an up-to-date OpenGL book (that must include a GLSL guide too, correct me if I’m wrong again).
I know that there are many books out there and that some of them are out of date, so I came to ask you what’s the best book for me in my condition.

Thanks![/QUOTE]