textured point sprites?

hi i am reading the opengl programming guide and am trying to display textured point sprites.
here are my shaders:

const char *fshader =

"#version 430 core                                                              
"

"                                                                               
"

"uniform sampler2D tex1;                                                           
"

"uniform sampler2D tex2;							
"

"                                                                               
"

"out vec4 color;                                                                
"

"                                                                               
"

"void main(void)                                                                
"

"{                                                                              
"

"    color = texture(tex1, gl_PointCoord) + texture(tex2, gl_PointCoord);                   
"

"}                                                                              
";

const char *vshader =
	        "#version 430 core                                                              
"
	        "layout (location = 0) in vec4 vertices;
"
	        "                                                                               
"

"void main(void)                                                                
"

"{                                                                              
"

"                                                                               
"

"    gl_Position = vertices;                                       
"
	        "}                                                                              
";

i then just simply set the point size using glPointSize(60) load my textures with SOIL and setup my array buffer and draw four points. all i get is one color for all the points. im also binding the textures to the appropriate texture unit. what am i doing wrong?

Have you tried glEnable(GL_POINT_SPRITE)? It may be required if you’re using a compatibility profile context.

GL_POINT_SPRITE was removed in 3.2. anybody see anything else wrong with this. ive tried also setting the size in my vertex shader (gl_PointSize) and enabling GL_PROGRAM_POINT_SIZE. does anybody know what i did wrong?