My current graphics class sucks. Would anyone point a newbie in the right direction?

I’m taking an intro graphics class at my university, and it is terrible. We jumped right into rasterization algorithms without discussing our motivations for doing so, and my professor teaches fixed-function OpenGL.

To take my education into my own hands, I’ve ordered Foundations of 3D Computer Graphics and I’m eyeing Modern OpenGL resources round up (google it) and the OpenGL SuperBible, but this is all a lot of theory and not enough application. Is there some website out there with cool examples of what you can do with OpenGL (hey, maybe it’s somewhere on this forum)? It’d be nice to focus my learning on something instead of aimlessly reading a textbook.

Also, I can only use OpenGL 2.1 and GLSL 1.20 on my laptop, so following tutorials is pretty frustrating.

I have been following a nice tutorial series on OpenGL with GLSL (programmable pipeline). He uses LWJGL (Java).

http://www.arcsynthesis.org/gltut/

Am I the only one who doesn’t think this is a great tutorial?

Thanks mucaho! That was exactly what I was looking for. Also, I found this nifty little website called Shader Toy. And I guess Chrome Experiments is a good resource for WebGL examples.

cireneikual and abdd0e77: That tutorial seems decent, but I don’t understand why it’s incomplete. I’d rather get a good book like the SuperBible.