vec4 startPosition  = texture(RayStartPoint, texc) ;
  vec4 stopPosition  = texture2D(RayStopPoint, texc);
   temp.w = 1 ;   

// FragColor = startPosition ;
	FragColor = stopPosition ;
 // FragColor = temp ;

//  FragColor = stopPosition -  startPosition ;

}

my program could find the first uniform location,but can’t find the second. the function “glGetUniformLocation” just return -1
anyone had encountered similar problem?

Of course it couldn’t; you never used it.

The compiler can plainly see that you never use startPosition to generate the fragment shader output in any way. So it is optimized out; it doesn’t access the RayStartPoint texture. And since you never access the texture, the sampler uniform is itself optimized out. It is not an active uniform, so the compiler doesn’t have to provide a uniform location for it.

You should not consider getting a -1 back from glGetUniformLocation to be an error.

[QUOTE=Alfonse Reinheart;1244220]Of course it couldn’t; you never used it.

The compiler can plainly see that you never use startPosition to generate the fragment shader output in any way. So it is optimized out; it doesn’t access the RayStartPoint texture. And since you never access the texture, the sampler uniform is itself optimized out. It is not an active uniform, so the compiler doesn’t have to provide a uniform location for it.

You should not consider getting a -1 back from glGetUniformLocation to be an error.[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much ! problem got solved。

and can you tell me where to find the infromation about the “shader complier”?