Almost no extensions available and GL vendor = Microsoft Corporation

Hello. I am trying to enable GL_ARB_pbuffer on my web server running on Windows Web Server 2008 r2. Even after installing an NVIDIA card and driver, I can’t seem to get any extensions beyond these -

GL vendor: Microsoft Corporation
Available: GL_WIN_swap_hint
Available: GL_EXT_bgra
Available: GL_EXT_paletted_texture

Even the cheap embedded graphics on my Acer running Win7 produces

GL vendor: Intel
Available: GL_EXT_blend_minmax
Available: GL_EXT_blend_subtract
Available: GL_EXT_blend_color
Available: GL_EXT_abgr (long list of extensions…including GL_ARB_pbuffer)

Can anybody suggest a way get OpenGL (JOGL actually) to see the real graphics driver, not Microsoft’s “stub?”

TIA

What kind of drivers did you install? I don’t remember if there are NV drivers for Win2k8, since Win2k8 Server is not intended for multimedia. There is neither video nor audio drivers for it (if I remember correctly; we had really great trouble trying to execute OpenGL applications on Win2k3 Server machines long time ago). On some forums, guys claim that installing Vista drivers could succeed, but not always, so you have to try different versions.

A few days ago, there was the same problem with WinXP Embedded Edition. It didn’t have even opengl32.dll. After copying necessary dlls, OpenGL application executed extremely slowly, since only software emulation (Microsoft GL 1.1 driver) was enabled. Installing drivers for regular XP, although OS claimed they were older that installed ones, everything got fixed.

Hello. THANKS for sharing that info!!!

I don’t need multimedia per se, my goal is to render off-screen using PBuffers.

My server is at a web hosting company. To address my problem, the support people there installed a NVIDIA GeForce 7300 SE/7200GS a couple days ago. After they installed the driver software, the NVIDIA device appeared in device manager. There is now an NVIDIA Control Panel icon in Control Panel but it won’t run from RDP, my only mode of access.

I gather OpenGL does not have a way to coerce the driver selection?

FYI I am using JOGL 1.1 which consists of these files.

-rw—a 20480 6-17-112 10:15a gluegen-rt.dll
-rw—a 18416 6-17-112 10:15a gluegen-rt.jar
-rw—a 315392 6-17-112 10:15a jogl.dll
-rw—a 1126370 6-17-112 10:15a jogl.jar
-rw—a 20480 6-17-112 10:15a jogl_awt.dll
-rw—a 114688 6-17-112 10:15a jogl_cg.dll

Do you know if the above implementation is self contained, or does it actually depend on opengl32.dll or other Windows dll?

THANKS

Are you trying to remotely access that server and execute OpenGL code?
Maybe that’s the problem. I’m not sure about technology you are using, but I’m sure that OpenGL is not hardware-accelerated through remote desktop.
Also, I don’t know how JOGL works, but opengl32.dll is required in any case (it is a “hook” to vendor’s specific dlls), and it is certainly on the server since you can execute OpenGL code.

Yup, for some reason, RDP doesnt like OpenGL.
OP, if possible, setup some VNC server there - should be good that way.

Hello.

Are you trying to remotely access that server and execute OpenGL code?

My only interest in RDP is that it’s the only way I can administer the server which is on a rack somewhere in another state and has no physical display. I found out by trial and error that my web application is only able to render OpenGL graphics when I have an open RDP session to the server, the RDP Window is not minimized, and I render to a visible Window. This is a lousy way to achieve my goal, which is to render off-screen to an image and include the image within web application content. Pbuffers are the perfect solution, work fine on my local box, but the extension is unavailable on the w2k8 web server.

I’m sure that OpenGL is not hardware-accelerated through remote desktop.

True, but it’s actually fast enough for my purposes. My problem is that if I close the RDP window, my web site stops working!

Also, I don’t know how JOGL works, but opengl32.dll is required in any case (it is a “hook” to vendor’s specific dlls), and it is certainly on the server since you can execute OpenGL code.

THANKS. By using this handy utility - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653 - I confirmed opengl32.dll exists on my server and is loaded into my JVM. This basic info is really helpful!

[QUOTE=kyle_;1244008]Yup, for some reason, RDP doesnt like OpenGL.
OP, if possible, setup some VNC server there - should be good that way.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, that is an interesting suggestion. But the OS is Windows Web Server 2008 r2 and I’m only finding VNC impls for UNIX/Linux.

Try TightVNC or RealVNC should be good enough (one of them was free iirc).

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.