display list optimization issues

I want to know if i have a loop that does this

DISPLAY LIST BEGIN
    loop
    glColor(r,g,b,a)
    glVertex(x,y,z)
    end loop
    DIPLAY LIST END

will there be optimization issues to the diplay list if most of the colors are the same?

I am thinking of rewriting the code sot hat glcolor is only called if the color values change. Or should I not bother ? Im wondering if OpenGL will know when it encounters a string of identical color commands for subsequent vertexes.

David

Advanced Member Frequent Contributor
    No, there won't be, because hardware does usually require a separate color per vertex so the driver most likely will replicate your color value for subsequent vertices even if you don't call glColor again with the same colors.
    Disclaimer: This is my personal profile. Whatever I write here is my personal opinion and none of my statements or speculations are anyhow related to my employer and as such should not be treated as accurate or valid and in no case should those be considered to represent the opinions of my employer.
    Technical Blog: http://www.rastergrid.com/blog/

Junior Member Newbie
    Cool thanks man. I was suspecting this was so, but only because maybe it had something to do with the pipeline and it works as a matrix but i guess ur answer is good enuf for me.

David

Quote Originally Posted by aqnuep View Post
    No, there won't be, because hardware does usually require a separate color per vertex so the driver most likely will replicate your color value for subsequent vertices even if you don't call glColor again with the same colors.

Senior Member OpenGL Guru Dark Photon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by darkdave View Post
    I want to know if i have a loop that does this

DISPLAY LIST BEGIN
    loop
    glColor(r,g,b,a)
    glVertex(x,y,z)
    end loop
    DIPLAY LIST END

will there be optimization issues to the diplay list if most of the colors are the same?
    Also, you probably will, but make sure you put your glBegin/glEnd outside of the loop. Some drivers don't optimize across these batches, so you want to make them big.

Junior Member Regular Contributor Kopelrativ's Avatar
    And then, you shouldn't use deprecated legacy functions if you worry about optimization.

Advanced Member Frequent Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Kopelrativ View Post
    And then, you shouldn't use deprecated legacy functions if you worry about optimization.
    Touché...
    Disclaimer: This is my personal profile. Whatever I write here is my personal opinion and none of my statements or speculations are anyhow related to my employer and as such should not be treated as accurate or valid and in no case should those be considered to represent the opinions of my employer.
    Technical Blog: http://www.rastergrid.com/blog/