How many types of mapping exist in opengl?

Hello ,

Im a newbie learning opengl.

I wanted to know how many types of mapping exist in opengl. I mean…cube mapping, environment mapping…etc.

Is there a place where I can find the list?

thanks,
drmz

Are you asking about automatic texture coordinate generation (glTexGen)?
These days you can calculate (more or less) whatever you want in shaders, so it’s mostly limited by imagination :wink:

If you are asking about something else, I’m afraid I don’t understand the question. Can you provide more details on what you consider a “mapping”?

Hi Carsten,

Thanks for the reply.

I’m not sure if I’m asking about the automatic texture coordinate generation or not.

My question was I came across about these terms like … “Cube Mapping, environmental mapping”.

I wanted to know how many of these kinds of effects are there, if at all there are available as a list some where.

As far as I know I dont think cube map is done with automatic texture coordinate generation.

I hope Im clear now.

Thanks.

[ul]
[li]Texture mapping[/li][li]Normal mapping[/li][li]Bump mapping[/li][li]Parallax mapping ( Offset mapping )[/li][li]Parallax occlusion mapping ( Relief Mapping )[/li][li]Dynamic Cube Environnement Mapping[/li][li]Shadow mapping[/li][li]Specular mapping[/li][li]Tone mapping[/li][li]Displacement mapping [/li][/ul]

Now I’m pretty sure You ask where do learn about these mapping types.

Well Google is Your friend :wink:

Here’s some of them
http://www.opengl.org/wiki/Mathematics_of_glTexGen

Thanks Indloon and V-man.

Time for some home work to figure out what are these…

thanks again.