Get maximum texture size

I am trying to get the maximum texture size limit in Android for OpenGL ES 2.0. But I’ve found that the next instruction only works if I’m currently within the OpenGL context, in other words I must have a GL Surface and a GL Renderer created, and then ask for the texture size within the GLRenderer thread, all of which I don’t need.

int[] maxTextureSize = new int[1];
GLES20.glGetIntegerv(GLES20.GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE, maxTextureSize, 0);

So I came with the next algorithm, which gives me the maximum texture size without having to create any surface or renderer, or having to be in a different thread. It works correctly so far, so my questions are:

1. Area PBuffers always the same size as texture sizes
  2. Can anyone spot any problem or anything I might have missed, just in case.
public int getMaximumTextureSize()
{
    EGL10 egl = (EGL10)EGLContext.getEGL();
    EGLDisplay display = egl.eglGetDisplay(EGL10.EGL_DEFAULT_DISPLAY);

// Initialise
    int[] version = new int[2];
    egl.eglInitialize(display, version);

// Query total number of configurations
    int[] totalConfigurations = new int[1];
    egl.eglGetConfigs(display, null, 0, totalConfigurations);

// Query actual list configurations
    EGLConfig[] configurationsList = new EGLConfig[totalConfigurations[0]];
    egl.eglGetConfigs(display, configurationsList, totalConfigurations[0], totalConfigurations);

int[] textureSize = new int[1];
    int maximumTextureSize = 0;

// Iterate through all the configurations to located the maximum texture size
    for (int i = 0; i < totalConfigurations[0]; i++)
    {
        // Only need to check for width since opengl textures are always squared
        egl.eglGetConfigAttrib(display, configurationsList[i], EGL10.EGL_MAX_PBUFFER_WIDTH, textureSize);

// Keep track of the maximum texture size
        if (maximumTextureSize < textureSize[0])
        {
            maximumTextureSize = textureSize[0];
        }

Log.i("GLHelper", Integer.toString(textureSize[0]));
    }

// Release
    egl.eglTerminate(display);
    Log.i("GLHelper", "Maximum GL texture size: " + Integer.toString(maximumTextureSize));

return maximumTextureSize;
}

There is no such guarantee, they can have completely different size limits

Further, what’s the problem with creating a GL surface? You’ll have to create a surface anyway if you want to call any of the GL functions.

[QUOTE=aqnuep;1238768]There is no such guarantee, they can have completely different size limits

Further, what’s the problem with creating a GL surface? You’ll have to create a surface anyway if you want to call any of the GL functions.[/QUOTE]

I don’t need to use the GL surface at all, I only require to get the texture maximum size for informational purposes. And creating the sirface and renderer puts too much overlead.
So i guess there is no way around? I thought EGL is the API under the OpenGL layer, and such should give an option to get this information, but so far no luck.

Well, I’d rather say invalid informational purposes then.

Does it? All applications, including the OpenGL Extensions Viewer or the GPU Caps Viewer figures out those hardware limitations, size limits, etc. by creating a context.
While I’m not aware of what is your application’s purpose, I have to say that your approach won’t be a generic one.

No, EGL is an API above the OpenGL layer, not under it. EGL is more or less like WGL or GLX, a way to access the “OpenGL layer” by creating a GL surface.

It is pretty much the same issue with OpenGL as well — you need a context to do anything
http://www.opengl.org/wiki/FAQ#What_is_an_OpenGL_context.3F