OpenGL Ext Viewer 4.04

I’m getting very slow OpenGL performance and I’m looking to see why. I got OpenGL Extensions Viewer 4.04 to see what I could learn. When I run it the SUMMARY shows I’m running DirectX version 9 Shader model: vs_3_0,ps_3_0. Some time ago I updated to DirectX 11.

Running dxdiag shows I have DirectX 11.

I’ve recently update the nVidia 560Ti to driver 296.10. OpenGL Viewer shows it correctly and OpenGL 4.2.

Is the OpenGL viewer out of data and not capable of showing DirectX 11?

If it is capable, does this indicate a problem?

How do I know which DirectX OpenGL is using?

The Viewer reports this problem:

No ICD registry entry
The current OpenGL driver doesn’t expose the SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows (NT)/CurrentVersion/OpenGLDrivers registry entry. Unable to detect the driver version, driver revision name and filename.

Is that a problem?

DirectX and OpenGL are different things. A statement like “How do I know which DirectX OpenGL is using?” does not make any sense.

Said that, a 560Ti with recent drivers should perform very well on OpenGL (a good mid-range Fermi GPU) and supports Direct3D 11 and OpenGL 4.2 - the latest versions of both APIs.

Why do you think your OpenGL performance is worse than it should?

Several OpenGL games run slow with a light load on the CPU and GPU.

What about the other questions in the OP?

I told you, OpenGL and DirectX/Direct3D are not related, the OpenGL viewer is for GL, dxdiag for DirectX.

See above, does not apply.

I told you, this question makes no sense.

With the latest drivers installed, OpenGL Extension Viewer ( 404 - RealTech VR ) should report OpenGL 4.2. Is that the case?

Expand your thinking and quite thinking DirectX and Direct3D are unrelated. AFAIK the only way to install Direct3D is to install DirectX. Several DLL in the installs are named directx.direct3d… Direct3D has the lower level API’s for custom client (think game makers) drivers that want access to direct hardware calls. Without the ICD pointer the system will resort to the MS default ICD which is typically using SLGL 1.1 rather than the newer 1.3.

So, which DirectX is last installed will change how the registry pointers are set up for Direct3D. So, is there a way to check which DLL’s the system is using? The Direct3D files from DirectX9c or 11?

GL View reports 4.2 but it also says latest nVidia driver is 296.10 and while I have 296.10 installed it says I’m out of date… so, something is not right.

OpenGL driver version check (Current: 4.2.0, Latest known: 8.17.12.9610):
Outdated version of display drivers detected
According the database, you are might be not using the latest version of display drivers for your video card.

No ICD registry entry
The current OpenGL driver doesn’t expose the SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows (NT)/CurrentVersion/OpenGLDrivers registry entry. Unable to detect the driver version, driver revision name and filename.

Few texture units found
This may slow down some applications using fragment programs or extensive texture mapping.

Extension verification:
GL_ARB_compatibility was not found, but is available in driver version 8.17.12.9610

What he meant is that OpenGL is unrelated to both DirectX and Direct3D. Which is true.

A man and woman prior to marriage are not related. Once married they are related by marriage. In Windows OpenGL reaches the hardware via the Direct3D API’s… or so says MS in their stuff. Whether it is a relationship or not just doesn’t answer the questions.

Why is GLView giving errors and misreading version information?

Unless you talk about the crappy fallback GL provided by Microsoft on Vista/7 when no GL driver is present (which is not a normal situation for any Nvidia/AMD/Intel card), this is completely false. What is the source of your information ?

Your problem sounds like this one, related to problematic driver installation and possible interaction with other software, resolved here : The Official NVIDIA Forums | NVIDIA

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.