OpenGL forum upgrade April 25th at 4AM PST
After many weeks of preparation and testing, and with lots of help from some of our OpenGL moderators, we will be upgrading the OpenGL forums.
Once the upgrade is complete, the OpenGL forums will be running on vBulletin. We have put a lot of research and effort into ensuring we've made the best choice for the OpenGL community as a whole.
Due to the amount of data we are moving, the forums will need to be offline for several hours during the upgrade and post upgrade testing. We have taken special care to ensure that all old links to posts will continue to work and that no information will be lost. As well, the new forums will feature a cleaner, easier to use layout, and a mobile theme for smartphones.
Please note: On the new forums, there is no longer a distinction between username and display name. We had to make a tough decision on which one to keep. In the end, it made the most sense to keep the display name, since that is what everyone knows you by, and what the forum quotes refer too. Therefore, when you login to the new forums, you will be using your current display name as your username. For example, my current username is khronos23, and my current display name is 'Khronos Webmaster'. When I login to the new forums, I will be logging in with 'Khronos Webmaster' as my username, and my current password will continue to work.
We've scheduled the upgrade for Wedensday April 25th at 4AM PST.
We thank you in advance for your patience during this transition.
Please post issues you may find with the new forums here. I'll work as fast as possible to correct any problems.
- The Index rebuild might not have indexed all posts. We are going to re-run the index tonight. In the meantime, there "might" be some posts that will not appear in searches.
- On the new forums, there is no longer a distinction between username and display name. We had to make a tough decision on which one to keep. In the end, it made the most sense to keep the display name, since that is what everyone knows you by, and what the forum quotes refer too. Therefore, when you login to the new forums, you will be using your current display name as your username. For example, my current username is khronos23, and my current display name is 'Khronos Webmaster'. When I login to the new forums, I will be logging in with 'Khronos Webmaster' as my username, and my current password will continue to work.
Last edited by Khronos_webmaster; 04-25-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Maybe this will be fixed after the re-indexing:
I am missing my watched threads list, it should be converted to the subscribed threads in my profile.
Thanks to James (our Webmaster), Dark Photon, Groovounet, ZbuffeR and others on working hard on this transition to a new, modern, forum. Great job, thank you!
(with my ARB hat on)
PS If I missed your name and helped flush out bugs, let James or myself know.
Chris, the import didn't allow for the watch threads to be imported, but I am trying to work out a script to grab those as we speak.
Thanks, and also a big Thank You for the new forums!
You're more than welcome! Can you do me a favour and check your subscribed list now. Let me know if it is close to what you would expect?
I'm a little bit disappointed with this upgrade.
Probably this is better, or will be better (after fixing some minor problems), but certainly I'll spend less time on the forum from now on. There are several reasons for this:
1. There is no indication if there are some new posts inside some of the subforums/groups. We have to open them to take a look.
2. Even after opening some subforum/group icons representing unread posts (open envelope) do not differ much from read ones (closed envelope). The color indicates actuality of the posts, but it would be much better to draw attention to unread posts.
3. I have just opened two browsers on the same computer. In one it is indicated that I have read post (and that is true), while on the other "the envelope is opened". I really don't have time to open the same posts several times just to find I have already read them. I used to open the forum several times during the day from my computer at work, from smartphone, notebook and netbook at home. If I have no indication whether I have already opened some forum/thread and there is no new posts, it will dramatically reduce the frequency of accessing the forum.
4. What is "advanced" in writing reply using "Go Advanced" button. The interface is really Spartan.
5. I have problem to login on the smartphone, and also many images are missing (just placeholders with "imag" text appears). I'm using Opera Mobile. The site looks completely different than on a desktop, but ... Since I cannot login I cannot try anything.
Gamedev, in my humble opinion, was ruined with the new interface some time ago. I hope this forum will not be doomed by the same faith.
Hopefully, at least, the response time will be much shorter now...
I beg moderators to list the benefits of the new interface.
Last edited by Aleksandar; 04-25-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Sorry to hear you are not happy with the upgrade. First things first: You wrote: "Since I cannot login I cannot try anything." What is hte issue with logging in?
Hey, it works now!
It didn't when I tried it half an hour ago.
And the images appeared.
Thanks for the fix!
P.S. Still some images don't appear (like "You are subscribed to this...", avatars, smilies, etc.). By the way, why am I automatically subscribed to any thread I have posted something?
Resize is not possible. Pages are with fix size in Opera Mobile. Earlier, the text was initially small, but it could be resized. Maybe this is better for non-multitouch screens. Now I understand what you meant by alleviating access from the phones.
Last edited by Aleksandar; 04-25-2012 at 01:51 PM.