Error too long to list in subject line

I’m new to OpenGL. I tried compiling the first program in the red book (the white square against a black background) and was successful. Now I’m trying to build the classic Asteroids game. My compilation command is as follows:

g++ -o asteroids -I/usr/include Asteroid.cpp bullet.cpp Projectile.cpp ship.cpp -lglut -lGLU -lGL

But this spits out the following error. I have no idea what it is:

/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.6.1/…/…/…/x86_64-linux-gnu/crt1.o: In function _start': (.text+0x20): undefined reference to main’
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

help please,
mike

You have to compile each *.cpp file individually and then link them together. Just calling g++ once will only work if you compile only one file. Try:

g++ -I/usr/include -c Asteroid.cpp 
g++ -I/usr/include -c bullet.cpp
g++ -I/usr/include -c Projectile.cpp
g++ -I/usr/include -c ship.cpp

g++ *.o -lglut -lGLU -lGL -o asteroids

The simple answer to this not so obscure error is that there isn’t a main function anywhere in the source code - thus there is no entry point for the application and therefore linkage fails.

BTW, this is nothing specific to Linux, Windows, Unix, OSX or OpenGL. It’s C/C++ beginners mistake.

Actually compiling the .cpp files individually gives me the same error. And yes, I DO have a main() function. What I found out fixed the issue is in the appendix of the blue book:

g++ -I/usr/include -o asteroids Asteroid.cpp bullet.cpp Projectile.cpp main.cpp ship.cpp -lX11 -lXi -lglut -lGL -lGLU -lm

now I don’t know what the libraries X11, Xi, and m do but it works with them. There’s another library the book says to link to. It’s called Xmu but my system can’t find it and it works without it.

You didn’t include main.cpp in your first post.

X11 is a protocol libX11 is the interface library for your implementation of the X Window System. libXi is the X Input Library libm is the C math library. I doubt that linking against these libs solved your problem.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.