Visibility testing woes

Hi guys, I’ve been trying to find out how to do some simple visibility testing/culling for a tilemap I’m working on, I’ve been searching for over a month with no success - I keep finding example involving 3D stuff and such but I’m working in 2D with glortho.

This is what I’m trying to do (pardon me if I don’t use the correct terminology).

I’m trying to find the top-left and bottom-right visible coordinates in object coordinates (or what ever you call them) in order to perform some basic visibility testing.

I have been doing the math manually, but it doesn’t take rotation into account for example.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. :slight_smile:

Do you have anu images you could post of what you are trying to achieve?
If it’s just a regular 2D grid then I don’t see the problem since it’s a fixed size? … and because of such, you know what you have to draw to each cell therefore it’s easy to only draw the ‘current cells’ within the coordinate range of the window/camera.

I want to use this not just for a simple tilemap, that’s true, let’s say I have this.

glOrtho(-40, 40, -30, 30, -1.f, 1.f);

So my visible range now is:

topleft( -40, 30 )
bottomright(40, -30)

I easily test visibility while rendering my tilemap. But what happens if I move around and more importantly rotate my camera.

• Camera moves to X position, Y zoom and Z rotation, let’s say it’s following something like a sprite on screen or something.

glRotatef(camera.rotation(), .0f, .0f, 1.f);
glScalef(camera.scale().x(), camera.scale().y(), 0.f);
glTranslatef(camera.translation().x() * -1, camera.translation().y() * -1, 0.f);

How do I get my topleft and bottomright now?

I’m pretty sure I have to do some matrix magic, but what.

I want to use this for not just tilemaps obviously, so I’m not really looking for a workaround, I need to figure out how to get the visible rect (if you will).

If it’s still not clear I can post some pictures. :slight_smile:

Mmm I might have just figured it out, after some playing around with my calculator. Tell me if this makes sense.

Please bare with me, I might not use the proper nomenclature for most of this stuff.

I multiplied the MODELVIEW and the PROJECTION matrices, I then use that (as I would if I wanted to test visibility using NDC) - but instead of multiplying the resulting matrix against object coordinates in order to get NDC (-1…1) - I invert the resulting matrix and multiply NDC coordinates instead (-1.0, 1.0) to get the visible object coordinates.

Does it make sense to you more experienced folk?

If it does, I guess I would just need to offset the resulting vector using the camera position.