Installed new GPU & OpenGL is now only version 1.1

Hi,

I have replaced my ATI HD4850 graphics card with a Nvidia GTX460. I uninstalled all previous drivers and ran Driver Sweeper in safe mode. I then installed the latest Nvidia driver for my card. Playing a 3-D game I was only getting 2fps so I dtried testing the graphics with Furmark which I have used many times. It would not load saying I needed OpenGL compliant graphics controller. I then checked my Pc with OpenGL extensions Viewer 4.0 s/w and it confirmed that I was on version 1.1.

Here is the report from Extensions Viewer:
Core features
v1.1 (100 % - 7/7)
v1.2 (0 % - 0/6)
v1.3 (0 % - 0/9)
v1.4 (0 % - 0/14)
v1.5 (0 % - 0/3)
v2.0 (0 % - 0/10)
v2.1 (0 % - 0/3)
v3.0 (0 % - 0/23)
v3.1 (0 % - 0/7)
v3.2 (0 % - 0/10)
v3.3 (0 % - 0/9)
v4.0 (0 % - 0/13)
v4.1 (0 % - 0/5)
v4.2 (0 % - 0/12)

OpenGL driver version check (Current: 1.1.0, Latest known: 6.14.12.8036):
Outdated version of display drivers detected
According the database, you are / might not be using the latest version of display drivers for your video card. *** I’m not sure about this as I installed the latest Nvidia driver, probably too new for their database.***

No ICD registry entry
The current OpenGL driver doesn’t expose the SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows (NT)/CurrentVersion/OpenGLDrivers registry entry. Unable to detect the driver version, driver revision name and filename.

No compiled vertex array support
This may cause performance loss in some applications.

No multitexturing support

No secondary color support
Some applications may not render polygon highlights correctly.

No S3TC compression support

No texture edge clamp support
This feature adds clamping control to edge texel filtering. Some programs may not render textures correctly (black line on borders.)

No vertex program support
This feature enables vertex programming (equivalent to DX8 Vertex Shader.) Some current or future OpenGL programs may require this feature.

No fragment program support
This feature enables per pixel programming (equivalent to DX9 Pixel Shader.) Some current or future OpenGL programs may require this feature.

No OpenGL Shading Language support
This may break compatibility for applications using per pixel shading.

No Frame buffer object support
This may break compatibility for applications using render to texture functions.

Few texture units found
This may slow down some applications using fragment programs or extensive texture mapping.

Extension verification:
GL_EXT_color_subtable was not found, but has the entry point glColorSubTableEXT
GL_EXT_gpu_shader4 was not found, but has the entry point glColorSubTableEXT
GL_EXT_paletted_texture has the entry point glDrawArraysInstancedEXT missing!
GL_EXT_paletted_texture has the entry point glDrawElementsInstancedEXT missing!
GL_EXT_texture_compression_rgtc was not found, but has the entry point glColorTableEXT
GL_EXT_texture_compression_rgtc was not found, but has the entry point glGetColorTableEXT
GL_EXT_texture_compression_rgtc was not found, but has the entry point glGetColorTableParameterfvEXT
GL_EXT_texture_compression_rgtc was not found, but has the entry point glGetColorTableParameterivEXT
GL_WIN_swap_hint has the entry point glClearDepthfOES missing!
GL_WIN_swap_hint has the entry point glClipPlanefOES missing!
GL_WIN_swap_hint has the entry point glDepthRangefOES missing!
GL_WIN_swap_hint has the entry point glFrustumfOES missing!
GL_WIN_swap_hint has the entry point glGetClipPlanefOES missing!
GL_WIN_swap_hint has the entry point glOrthofOES missing!
GL_EXT_draw_buffers2 was not found, but is available in driver version 1.1.0
GL_EXT_texture_compression_rgtc was not found, but is available in driver version 1.1.0

I have tried Nvidia drivers 260.89, 280.26, 280.28 & 280.36 and all leave me stuck on OpenGL 1.1

BTW I’m running XP32 and an Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @3.02MHz processor.

I’m certainly no expert but I was under the impression that the OpenGL code was incorporated in the driver so I’m confused as to what’s happening.

I hope someone can shed some light on my problem although I see that somebody had a similar problem to me who posted in July, viewed 280 times and didn’t get a single reply.

Anyway, here’s hoping. Thanks.

Check the following:
On the start menu select “control panel”
Double click “system” icon
Select “Hardware” page and press the “Device Manager” button
If the device driver is installed properly then you should see something like “NVIDIA GeForce 460 GTX” listed under “Display adapters” (you may need to click the [+] to open the Display list folder)
Is it listed?
Does it have a yellow cirle with an exclamation mark on top of its icon?
If it is there then double click it to view its properties.
In the device status box on this page does it say “This device cannot start. (Code 10)”?
If so then this usually indicates a hardware problem.
You could try taking the card out of the slot, checking the slot and connectors are clean, and then re-seating it in the slot making sure its all the way in and sitting nice and square.
And dont forget to connect up any extra power cables that it may need to work properly.

Simon,I’ve checked the device manager and it reports the GTX460 is working properly and the current driver is installed.

I’m not sure if I might have deleted some windows or system files related to OpenGL when I ran Driver Sweeper that will have brought my OpenGL down to 1.1? Is that possible?

Thanks.

Do you have access to the nvidia control panel ? Do you see anything wrong ?
Is your problem only on GL, or directx is impacted too ?

Yes, I have access to the Nvidia control panel and as far as I can tell everything seems ok.

I just tried my flight sim and am having the same problems when set to DirectX too so not sure if that helps.

Even when viewing the 2d menu screen within the flight sim the mouse pointer movement is delayed, like a half-second after I move the mouse each time. This it did when set to OpenGL as well. As soon as I exit the game and am back in Windows environment the mouse pointer is fine.

Thanks.

Check this:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/577/acceleration.png/

Could have been set to “disabled”.

i have the same problem with nVidia 210 Opengl only 1.1 did you fix the problem ?? i got the latest drivers and got opengl Extension viewer and my test fails :frowning: help pls ???

I also encountered this same issue and updating device drivers (tried several version numbers) did not resolve the issue.
I resolved the issue by removing ALL Nvidia installed software under add remove programs/Apps having to reboot 3 times between uninstalling the Nvidia programs. After all of the Nvidia programs were uninstalled and the resolution defaulted to the generic driver I re-installed the driver and that resolved my error.